The Chimney Song: A Christmas Classic

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary: Let me see if I can find the one I was thinking about. It's all happy and optimistic.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1nYVlPfswIn summary, the conversation is mostly about sharing favorite Christmas songs and music videos. Some of the popular songs mentioned include "The Chimney Song," "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," "Fairytale of New York," and "Christmastime is Here." Some users also shared nostalgic memories and personal connections to certain songs. There was also a discussion about the use of ukuleles and the presence of war and violence in some Christmas songs and videos.
jimmysnyder said:
One shortcoming of Judaism is that our music can't compare to the Christian stuff.

You mean "Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel" can't compare to "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" or "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth"? I'm not sure... the Dreidel Song is pretty sweet.

Physics news on Phys.org
hypatia said:
I didn't know where else to post this. But thought music and parties go well together lol.

dress.jpg

Hmmm.. the boys are going to their mom's... so it's just me and dad, the baby and the cat(s?)... so this is making me think maybe I'll be able to pull out my favorite red party dress... if I fit in it with my wee-bit of remaining post-baby weight!

I had a great time at my first party event of the season. They had children providing the music, so I thought ohh hum. But these kids were not your ordinary kids, each of them had a gift, and it was mind boggling how good they were.

Christmas Classics!

Well, I'm not certain if these have already been posted but I figured I might as well share these christmas "classics" . . .

This first video is perhaps the most, well, stunning rendition of "Oh Holy Night" that I've ever heard. I would argue that this performance is literally unparalelled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xSbiGWzuQ&feature=related

This second video is a good, but perhaps run of the mill (standard) rendition of the same song. It certainly has its merits and deserves a good listen.

This third video probably best deserves the title classic (again, "Oh Holy Night"). Its probably the least interesting video, but here for your listening pleasure.

In retrospect, none of these videos are really classics, but they're all worth listening to :wink:. My personal (honest to god) favorite is video number 2. Happy Chrstmas everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Three renditions of my favorite christmas song (goodness, three seems to be a motif today):

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
One shortcoming of Judaism is that our music can't compare to the Christian stuff. "Will the Circle be Unbroken" runs circles around anything we've got and "Amazing Grace" by itself beats the entire opus of three major eastern religions. There's a lot of great Christmas music out there too. Ha, we wrote half of that stuff. But the constant repetition ruins even a good thing. So go ahead and sing Adeste Fideles all you want, we deserve good music. But once only and then put it away for another year. Merry Christmas to us all.
Isn't it funny that our more loved christmas Classics were written and/or sung by jews? White Christmas, Holiday Inn, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire).. I'm talking Irving Berlin and Mel Torme.

For some reason I have strong Christmas associations with the Pastorale of Beethoven

-GWMApWKQIY[/youtube] (first movement)

'12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS - AUSTRALIAN VERSION:

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Twelve goannas goin, Eleven snakes a-sliding,
Ten dingoes dashing, Nine wombats waddling,
Eight koalas clinging, Seven emus running,
Six 'roos a-jumping,
Five opals black,
Four great galahs,
Three parakeets,
Two cockatoos,
And a kookaburra up the old gum tree.

(By Jaybees Entertainment)

Speaking of kookaburras - here's the chorus

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22716&d=1261868245

Attachments

• kookaburras.bmp
    108.6 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
12 days of Christmas - A Canadian version.

Doug and Bob

http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/hoser/12days.html

Bob: Okay, good day, this is our Christmas part of the album, and you can play this at your Christmas parties, uh, or to yourself on Christmas Eve, if there's nothing else to do.

Doug: Good day, eh? In case you thought, like, I wasn't on this part!

Bob: Oh, I guarantee ya, you'd be on. Okay, so, good day, this is the Christmas part, and, we're going to tell you what to get, uh, your true love for Christmas.

. . .

jgens said:
This first video is perhaps the most, well, stunning rendition of "Oh Holy Night" that I've ever heard. I would argue that this performance is literally unparalelled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xSbiGWzuQ&feature=related

That was better than Sarah Pallin's visit to the turkey farm.

Andre said:
For some reason I have strong Christmas associations with the Pastorale of Beethoven
Nice match-up. Beethoven is the world's most underrated composer and Karajan the world's most overrated conductor.