Pressure and force in 3 different containers

In summary, the three tanks shown are filled with water to an equal depth and have an equal height. Tank A has the greatest surface area at the bottom, tank B the least and tank C the middle. When comparing the force exerted by the water on the bottom of tank A and tank C, it is greater for tank A. The pressure at the bottom of tank A is equal to the pressure at the bottom of tank B. The water in tank B does not exert an upward force on the sides of the tank. The force due to the water on the bottom of tank A is equal to the weight of the water in the tank. The pressure exerted on the bottom of tank B is smaller than for the other tanks.
hellblazer970

Homework Statement

A.
prob16_wide.gif

B.
prob16_narrow.gif

C.
prob16_straight.gif

The three tanks shown above are filled with water to an equal depth. All the tanks have an equal height. Tank A has the greatest surface area at the bottom, tank B the least and tank C the middle.
(Select T-True, F-False, G-Greater than, L-Less than, E-Equal to. If the first is F the second L and the rest G, enter
FLGGGG).

A) The force exerted by the water on the bottom of tank A is ... the force exerted by the water on the bottom of tank C
B) The pressure at the bottom of tank A is ... the pressure at the bottom of tank B
C) The water in tank B exerts an upward force on the sides of the tank.
D) The force due to the water on the bottom of tank A is ... the weight of the water in the tank.
E) The pressure exerted on the bottom of tank B is smaller than for the other tanks.

Homework Equations

F= p*A
p = density*g*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I hate these types of problems because I know I'll have all but one wrong...
A: Greater Than, A has a larger surface area on the bottom, and thus has a larger force since pressure is the same because they have the same depth.
B: Equal To, pressure is just related to depth. Since they all have the same depth, the pressures are equal.
C: False, water does not come in contact vertically with the tank.
D: Equal To, even though the wall is exerting some force down on the water the water is exerting some force up on the walls.
E: False, the pressure is the same because all the containers are filled to the same height with the same liquid.

I greatly appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hellblazer970 said:
A: Greater Than, A has a larger surface area on the bottom, and thus has a larger force since pressure is the same because they have the same depth.
B: Equal To, pressure is just related to depth. Since they all have the same depth, the pressures are equal.
Perfectly correct answers and reasoning.
C: False, water does not come in contact vertically with the tank.
I don't understand the reason for your answer. The water certainly makes contact with the sides of the tank.
D: Equal To, even though the wall is exerting some force down on the water the water is exerting some force up on the walls.
What does the force of the wall on the water have to do with the weight of the water?
E: False, the pressure is the same because all the containers are filled to the same height with the same liquid.
Perfectly correct answer and reasoning.

Doc Al said:
I don't understand the reason for your answer. The water certainly makes contact with the sides of the tank.
Well, what I think the question is asking is that does the water exert an upward force on the container (i think), so I presume it means something like this
http://www.hellblazer.cc/upload/uploads/water_b_phys1110.jpg
Which it certainly is not making contact with, so it should be false.

Doc Al said:
What does the force of the wall on the water have to do with the weight of the water
It shouldnt. F = pressure*area right? But I am not sure how to figure out if pressure*area = or < or > density*volume*g...

Last edited by a moderator:
hellblazer970 said:
Well, what I think the question is asking is that does the water exert an upward force on the container (i think), so I presume it means something like this
http://www.hellblazer.cc/upload/uploads/water_b_phys1110.jpg
Which it certainly is not making contact with, so it should be false.
The question asks about the force the water exerts on the sides of the container. Is the water in contact with those sides? Yes. Does the water exert a force on those sides? Yes.

In what direction? (Does the force exerted by the water on the sides of the container have an upward component or a downward component?)
It shouldnt. F = pressure*area right? But I am not sure how to figure out if pressure*area = or < or > density*volume*g...
Hint: Pressure = density*g*height. Combine that with force = pressure*area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
The question asks about the force the water exerts on the sides of the container. Is the water in contact with those sides? Yes. Does the water exert a force on those sides? Yes.

In what direction? (Does the force exerted by the water on the sides of the container have an upward component or a downward component?)

The water only exerts a downward force on the tank, so the answer must be false since its asking for does it have an upward component.

Hint: Pressure = density*g*height. Combine that with force = pressure*area.
Force/area = pressure
Force/area = density*g*height
Force = density*g*height*area
BUT the area does not stay the same with height. it is larger on the bottom so, density*g*height*area at the bottom > density*g*volume

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help, the above are correct.

Very good!

1. What is pressure and how is it related to force in a container?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. In a container, the force exerted by the molecules of gas or liquid against the walls of the container creates pressure. The greater the force or the smaller the area, the higher the pressure will be.

2. How does pressure differ in a closed container, an open container, and a vacuum container?

In a closed container, the pressure remains constant as long as the temperature and volume stay the same. In an open container, the pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure. In a vacuum container, there is no pressure as there are no molecules present to exert a force.

3. How does the shape and size of a container affect the pressure inside?

The shape and size of a container affect the pressure by changing the amount of area the force is distributed over. For example, a smaller container with the same force applied will have a higher pressure compared to a larger container with the same force applied.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in a container?

The relationship between pressure and volume in a container is known as Boyle's Law. It states that at a constant temperature, the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. This means that as the volume of a container decreases, the pressure exerted by the gas molecules increases and vice versa.

5. How does temperature affect pressure in a container?

According to Charles's Law, at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas in a container increases, the pressure will also increase. This is because the increase in temperature causes the gas molecules to move faster and exert more force on the container walls.