How can I calculate the compression of a support column under a heavier weight?

In summary, the support column is compressed 2.46 x 10^ -4m under a weight of 5.42 X 10^5N. By using the equation F=KX, the column is compressed 0.0022 m under a weight of 4.8 X10^6N. This solution is verified through a ratio proportion as well. As long as the column is behaving elastically, both methods give the correct answer.
kkmonte

Homework Statement

A support column is compressed 2.46 x 10^ -4m under a weight of 5.42 X 10^5N. how much is the column compressed under a weight of 4.8 X10^6N?

Homework Equations

F=KX

The Attempt at a Solution

By using that equation, I get 542000 = .000246K

Solve for K, and I get a huge number, 2,203,252,032.52

Then by using that number as my new K, and solving for the compressed distance with the new weight, I get 0.0022 m.

Is that the right answer?

Similarly, I figured I could just make a ratio proportion of:

.000246....X

------------- = ----------------

Which also gives me an answer of 0.0022 m (2.2 X 10^ -3). Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, either method gives you the correct solution, as long as the column is still behaving elastically in accordance with Hooke's law.

Thanks Jay, when I first did this problem, I was looking at the answer of 2.2e-3 and shaking my head going how can this thing compress less when there is a heavier weight on it? However it wasn't after I was typing it in the computer that I realized that the first compression is 2.46e-4, and I went, duh. =)

Thanks for letting me know I'm correct.
Ken

1. What is support column compression?

Support column compression is a type of structural compression that occurs in columns or pillars that support the weight of a structure. It is the force that pushes the column together and compresses it, rather than pulling it apart.

2. How does support column compression affect building design?

Support column compression is an important consideration in building design as it determines the size and strength requirements of the columns. If the compression force is too great, it can lead to structural failure and collapse of the building.

3. What factors influence support column compression?

The main factors that influence support column compression are the load bearing capacity of the column, the type and quality of materials used, and the height and design of the structure. Other factors such as environmental conditions and maintenance also play a role.

4. How is support column compression calculated?

The calculation of support column compression involves determining the load bearing capacity of the column and the applied load from the structure above. This can be done using mathematical equations and considering factors such as material properties and safety factors.

5. What are some common methods for mitigating support column compression?

Some common methods for mitigating support column compression include using stronger or larger columns, reinforcing the columns with additional materials, and providing additional support through beams or braces. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help prevent or address any potential issues with support column compression.