Introduction to Group Theory - Abstract Algebra

In summary, if (ab)^2 = a^2b^2 in a group G, then ab = ba. This can be proven by using the properties of a group, including the existence of inverses and associativity. Starting with (ab)^2 = (a^2)(b^2), we can manipulate the equation to get (ba)(ab) = (ab)(ba), and then use the uniqueness statement to show that ab = ba.
descendency

Homework Statement

Prove that if (ab)2 = a2b2 in a group G, then ab = ba.

Homework Equations

* For each element a in G, there is an element b in G (called the inverse of a) such that ab = ba = e (the identity).
* For each element in G, there is a unique element b in G such that ab = ba = e.
* The operation (under which the group is defined) is associative; that is, (ab)c = a(bc).

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](ab)^{2} = (a)^{2}(b)^{2}[/tex]
[tex](a)^{-1}(ab)^{2}(b)^{-1} = (a)^{-1}(a)^{2}(b)^{2}(b)^{-1}[/tex]
[tex](a)^{-1}abab(b)^{-1} = (a)^{-1}aabb(b)^{-1}[/tex]
ebae = eabe
ba = ab.

Is this allowed? (Keep in mind, the operation which the group is defined over is not necessarily multiplication. it may be composition.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure is but your pre last line should be ba = ab I believe.

Also your 2nd "given" is the same as your first, you probably meant something else?

NoMoreExams said:
Sure is but your pre last line should be ba = ab I believe.

Also your 2nd "given" is the same as your first, you probably meant something else?

The second given is the uniqueness statement. The first given is the rule that an element in a group has at least an inverse (not necessarily unique). I said "the" when I meant "an".

edit: Thanks for correcting my mistake. It's a typo. I had it right on paper, I just didn't type out what I wrote down for some reason. . .

Last edited:
Then that seems redundant, line 2 is stronger than line 1.

descendency said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](ab)^{2} = (a)^{2}(b)^{2}[/tex]
[tex](a)^{-1}(ab)^{2}(b)^{-1} = (a)^{-1}(a)^{2}(b)^{2}(b)^{-1}[/tex]
[tex](a)^{-1}abab(b)^{-1} = (a)^{-1}aabb(b)^{-1}[/tex]
ebae = eabe
ba = ab.
Is this allowed?
Your work is fine, where I read it as (line 1) => (line 2) => ... .

However, depending on the level of pendency of your instructor you may be required to justify your use of associativity. E.g., the left-hand side is [tex](ab)^2 = (ab)(ab) = a(b(ab)) = a((ba)b)[/tex], and the right-hand side is [tex]a^2b^2 = (aa)(bb) = a(a(bb)) = a((ab)b)[/tex]; then multiply both sides on the left by [tex]a^{-1}[/tex], and so on.

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. A group is a set of elements with a binary operation that satisfies certain axioms, such as associativity, identity, and invertibility.

2. How is group theory used in science?

Group theory has various applications in science, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, group theory is used to describe the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. In chemistry, group theory is used to study molecular orbitals and symmetry elements in molecules. In computer science, group theory is used in cryptography and coding theory.

3. What are the basic concepts in group theory?

The basic concepts in group theory include groups, subgroups, cosets, normal subgroups, homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and group actions. Groups are sets of elements with a binary operation that satisfy certain axioms. Subgroups are subsets of a group that also form a group. Cosets are subsets of a group formed by multiplying a fixed element of the group to a subgroup. Normal subgroups are subgroups that are invariant under conjugation. Homomorphisms and isomorphisms are functions that preserve the group structure. Group actions are actions that preserve the group structure and can be used to study the symmetries of a group.

4. What are some real-life examples of groups?

Some real-life examples of groups include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers except 0 under multiplication, and the group of symmetries of a regular polygon. Other examples include the group of rotations and reflections of a Rubik's cube, the group of symmetries of a molecule, and the group of transformations of a geometric shape.

5. What are the applications of group theory in cryptography?

Group theory has various applications in cryptography, including public-key cryptography, which relies on the difficulty of solving certain problems related to groups. For example, the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm is based on the difficulty of solving the discrete logarithm problem in a multiplicative group of integers modulo a large prime number. Other applications include the ElGamal encryption scheme and the digital signature algorithm (DSA).