Deriving the EOM for Proca Lagrangian

In summary: You are welcome to reformulate the question in terms of the indices, but you will get the wrong answer.
a2009

Homework Statement

Consider the Proca Lagrangian

[tex]L=-\frac{1}{16\pi}F^2-\frac{1}{c}J_{\mu}A^{\mu}+\frac{M^2}{8\pi}A_{\mu}A^{\mu}[/tex]​

in the Lorentz gauge [tex]\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu}=0[/tex]

Find the equation of motion.

Homework Equations

[tex]F^2=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first of all I'm not quite sure how E-L should look in this case. Clearly [tex]F_{\mu\nu}[/tex] is the part that is the derivatives of the dependent variables (A).
What I have gotten to is
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial F_{\rho \sigma}} = -\frac{F^{\rho\sigma}}{8\pi}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{\sigma}}=-\frac{1}{c} J^{\sigma} + \frac{M^2}{4 \pi}A^{\sigma}[/tex]

So is this the E-L for 4D special relativity?
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_\sigma}-\partial_\sigma \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial F_{\rho\sigma}} \right)=0[/tex]​

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would more comfortable not taking a short-cut, i.e., I would expand the F's in term of A's, but, after substituting for the L's in your final equation, you seem to get the correct equation of motion.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

What I'm mostly unsure about is how to formulate E-L in terms of covariant or contravariant components. Do I take the derivative with respect to [tex]A^\sigma[/tex] or [tex]A_\sigma[/tex].

I guess my question could be reformulated as:

Should E-L look like
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_\sigma}-\partial^\sigma \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial F_{\rho\sigma}} \right)=0[/tex]​
or
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A^\sigma}-\partial_\sigma \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial F^{\rho\sigma}} \right)=0[/tex]​

And based on what do I choose between the two?

Last edited:
a2009 said:
I guess my question could be reformulated as:

Should E-L look like
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_\sigma}-\partial^\sigma \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial F_{\rho\sigma}} \right)=0[/tex]​
or
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial A^\sigma}-\partial_\sigma \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial F^{\rho\sigma}} \right)=0[/tex]​

And based on what do I choose between the two?

Neither, :smile:. In each equation, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a free index in one term and a dummy summed index in the other term, which is a no-no. In terms of index placement, an upstairs index in a denominator is like a downstairs index in a numerator, and a downstairs index in a denominator is like an upstairs index in a numerator.

1. What is the Proca Lagrangian and why is it important in physics?

The Proca Lagrangian is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of vector fields. It is important in physics because it allows for the study of fundamental interactions, such as electromagnetism and gravity, at a quantum level.

2. How is the Proca Lagrangian related to the equations of motion (EOM)?

The Proca Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for vector fields. These equations describe how the vector field changes over time and are crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are the steps for deriving the EOM for Proca Lagrangian?

The steps for deriving the EOM for Proca Lagrangian include expressing the Lagrangian in terms of the field and its derivatives, finding the Euler-Lagrange equations by taking the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the field, and finally solving the resulting equations to obtain the equations of motion.

4. What are some applications of the EOM for Proca Lagrangian?

The EOM for Proca Lagrangian have various applications in physics, including understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields, analyzing the dynamics of particles in electric and magnetic fields, and studying the interaction of charged particles with photons.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Proca Lagrangian and its EOM?

While the Proca Lagrangian is a powerful tool in describing vector fields, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not account for interactions between different types of fields and is not applicable to all physical systems. In some cases, more complex mathematical frameworks may be needed to accurately describe a physical phenomenon.