Shake it to Light: The Magic of Mechanoluminescence

In summary, Triboluminescence is a type of chemiluminescence produced when a solid substance is rubbed against another solid substance. It is usually a result of a chemical reaction, and can be quite beautiful.
SAZAR
Is there some kind of liquid that glows when you shake it, then shines for a while and fades away (mechanic energy to light without anything else needed except a bottle of that liquid)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I know there's something that comes really close and is known as a "lightstick". But it is a one time use device. It usually involves a thin-walled glass capsule containing a chemical reagent inside an outer container. When you shake the container, the capsule breaks, releasing the reagent into the outer case which has another chemical. The reaction that take place results in emission of light.

If you want a repeatably useable device, there are flashlights (torches) that can be charged by shaking them. Here's an example :
http://www.sailgb.com/sshop/prod_info.asp?PID=801

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that pure LSD crystals will glow in solution when you shake them...

Of course this would be impossible and highly illegal to search for..

The crystals must be due to a piezo effect, electricity created by the friction.. electro luminescense?

Monique, do you mean triboluminescence - which is a combination of the piezoelectric effect and electroluminescence ?

Ah right, that's the optical phenomenon where light is generated via friction right?
Tribein (greek) = to rub, lumin (latin) = light :biggrin:

I think it only works for solids though, and not solutions.

Mechanoluminescence is probably a more appropriate term for the question..

There are bioluminescent bacteria or algea that light up when the water that they're in is perturbed. If you go to the ocean at night during a red tide it can be quite spectacular.

Bioluminescense is a different kind of chemistry, it is actually the reaction between a luciferin substrate and a luciferase enzyme that produces that light. Not any less spectacular though :)

This is way out of my league, but I think I recall something about a fluorescent protein, probably ferredoxin, or something like that ?

Ferrodoxin is an electron carrier used by organisms in redox reactions. There are many many bioluminescent molecules, the green fluorescent protein from the jelly fish Aequorea victoria.. you have fireflies, bacteria, sea pansies, the list is long :)

1. What is mechanoluminescence?

Mechanoluminescence is a phenomenon in which light is produced when a material is subjected to mechanical stress, such as being shaken or rubbed. This is caused by a rearrangement of the material's molecular structure, which releases stored energy in the form of light.

2. How does "Shake it to Light" work?

"Shake it to Light" products contain materials that are capable of producing mechanoluminescence. When these products are shaken or hit, the mechanical stress causes the material to emit light, creating a visually stunning effect.

3. What are some real-world applications of mechanoluminescence?

Mechanoluminescence has potential applications in fields such as construction, where it can be used as a non-destructive way to detect cracks in materials. It can also be used in self-powered sensors and as a source of emergency lighting in emergency situations.

4. Is mechanoluminescence safe?

Yes, mechanoluminescence is generally considered safe as it does not involve any harmful radiation or chemicals. However, it is important to follow the safety instructions provided by the manufacturer when using "Shake it to Light" products.

5. Can mechanoluminescence be harnessed for sustainable energy production?

Some research has been done on using mechanoluminescence for energy production, but currently it is not a practical source of energy. However, further research and development may lead to advancements in this area in the future.