Electric field 0.1mm above charged plate.

In summary, the problem involves a 0.08x0.08 meter charged copper plate with 9*10^9 electrons. The linear charge density is found to be 2.25*10^-7 c/m^3 and is used to calculate the electric field, which is determined to be 25423.72 N/C using the equation E=n/2εo. However, the number of significant figures in the answer may need to be adjusted.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

A thin 0.08x0.08 meter copper plate is charged with 9*10^9 electrons. What are the strength and direction of the electric field 0.1mm above center of the top surface of the plate.

Homework Equations

n=Q/A
E=n/E_0

The Attempt at a Solution

\
I found the linear charge density to be 2.25*10^-7 c/m^3 from the first equation above. I multiplied the number of electrons by the charge of a single electron and divided by the area.

Next I took the linear charge density and divided it by epsilon_0 to get a final charge of 25423.72 N/C.
I plugged this into webassign but it says that's wrong? could someone check this for me because I swear this is the right way to go about this problem
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
megr_ftw said:
E=n/E_0
That equation is for a pair of oppositely-charged plates.

For a single plate, it's

E = n/2εo

They might want you to watch the number of significant figures in the answer you report, too.

Other than that, things look okay to me.

I would like to verify the equations and steps used to solve this problem. The linear charge density equation (n=Q/A) is correct, but the value for the linear charge density seems to be incorrect. The correct value should be 1.125*10^-7 C/m^2, calculated by dividing the total charge (9*10^9 electrons) by the area (0.08x0.08 m^2).

The next equation used (E=n/E_0) seems to be incorrect. The correct equation for electric field is E=kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charged object.

Using this equation, the electric field at a distance of 0.1 mm (0.0001 m) above the center of the top surface of the plate would be calculated as follows:

E = (9*10^9 * 1.125*10^-7) / (0.0001)^2 = 9*10^16 N/C

The direction of the electric field would be pointing away from the charged plate, in a direction perpendicular to the surface.

I would also like to point out that the units for electric field are N/C, not C/N as mentioned in the attempt at a solution.

I hope this helps in solving the problem correctly. If you continue to have trouble, please provide more information or show your work so that I can assist you further.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

What is the significance of 0.1mm above a charged plate?

0.1mm above a charged plate is a specific distance used to measure the strength of the electric field. This distance is typically chosen because it is close enough to the charged plate to be significantly affected by the electric field, but far enough away to not be affected by any external factors.

How is the strength of the electric field calculated at 0.1mm above a charged plate?

The strength of the electric field at 0.1mm above a charged plate can be calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted by the electric field on a test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

What factors can affect the electric field at 0.1mm above a charged plate?

The strength of the electric field at 0.1mm above a charged plate can be affected by the magnitude of the charge on the plate, the distance between the plate and the point of measurement, and any external influences such as other charged objects or electromagnetic fields.

How can the electric field at 0.1mm above a charged plate be used in practical applications?

The electric field at 0.1mm above a charged plate has many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, particle accelerators, and medical equipment. It can also be used to study the behavior of charged particles and to determine the strength and direction of electric fields in various systems.