Calculating Coefficient of Friction in Hot Rolling: Parameters and Equations"

In summary, the speaker is conducting experiments in hot rolling and needs help calculating the coefficient of friction. They are struggling to find equations that use parameters like roll bite angle. They ask for references or equations that involve forward speed, force, and shear. They thank anyone in advance for their help and mention that they would appreciate any information on this topic.
darkelf
Hello,

I'm running a couple of experiments in hot rolling and am in need of calculating the coefficient of friction during these experiments. All the equations I have found to calculate this during rolling all involve parameters like the roll bite angle which I am not sure how to calculate.

Can anyone please refer me to a paper or book or help out with an equation that gives the coefficient of friction during hot rolling using the following parameters, forward speed, Force, and shear.

I would appreciate any information in this line.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
this show you how to calculate bite angel

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 450

1. What is friction in hot rolling?

Friction in hot rolling refers to the resistance that occurs between the rolls and the metal being rolled, which leads to energy loss and affects the shape and surface quality of the rolled metal.

2. How does friction affect the hot rolling process?

Friction can have both positive and negative effects on hot rolling. It helps to reduce the thickness of the metal being rolled and improves surface finish, but can also lead to uneven deformation and surface defects if not properly controlled.

3. What factors affect friction in hot rolling?

The main factors that affect friction in hot rolling include the material properties of the metal being rolled, the surface condition of the rolls, the temperature and speed of the rolling process, and the lubrication used between the rolls and the metal.

4. How is friction controlled in hot rolling?

Friction can be controlled in hot rolling by adjusting the temperature and speed of the rolling process, using proper lubrication, and maintaining smooth and clean roll surfaces. Additionally, the use of anti-friction coatings or textured rolls can also help reduce friction.

5. What are the consequences of excessive friction in hot rolling?

Excessive friction can lead to increased energy consumption, poor surface quality of the rolled metal, and even damage to the rolls. It can also cause uneven deformation, resulting in a non-uniform shape and thickness of the rolled metal.