What's Your Post-Work Routine: Studying or Gaming?

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Work
In summary: After completing the course and passing the final test, I finally get to the part where you are "allowed" to leave the course. I'm not kidding. There's a "Exit" button at the bottom of the screen. I click it and it takes me back to the main course page. I'm so tired of this crap! After completing the course and passing the final test, I finally get to the part where you are "allowed" to leave the course. I'm not kidding. There's a "Exit" button at the bottom of the screen. I click it and it takes me back to the main course page. I
Noxide
What do you like to do to wind down? Let me set the scene. You have arrived home after work/class. Do you hit the books with a vengeance or do you play video games all night?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF, of course.

Perhaps a few hours of research with IRSA or NED, grinding out redshift data in interacting galaxy pairs. Doesn't everybody do this?

I usually have a drink and then watch a movie or play some video games. Lately anyway. I used to read a lot more and sometimes would stay up all night long reading and not get much sleep. Some times I would go to a bar and shoot some pool. Occasionally still I get online and read/post on PF among other sites but I do this during most of the time I am at work anyway. For a while I was playing with clay after work every day.

Instant pajamas status.

read.

homework.

Noxide said:
What do you like to do to wind down? Let me set the scene. You have arrived home after work/class. Do you hit the books with a vengeance or do you play video games all night?

Read books, get current news, read emails etc

turbo-1 said:
Perhaps a few hours of research with IRSA or NED, grinding out redshift data in interacting galaxy pairs. Doesn't everybody do this?

Uh, why, of course...

What is this phrase "wind down?" I do not understand? I vaguely remember that phrase from when I was single, but then I got married and had kids and now there is no such thing as "wind down" in my vocabulary.

After work I get a big bowl of cereal, get online, and cus out random people. Nothing is more relaxing.

I drink.

I usually watch TV and at 8 I have Taekwondo (awesome for relieving stress).

Drink a couple shots, play with my shotguns, field dress a cat, eat a bowl of sugar.

shamlesssly ripped off from 'the santa claus' -- best line ever!

FredGarvin said:
What is this phrase "wind down?" I do not understand?
What is this "hard work" of which you speak ??

I seem to have fallen into a routine of having to complete some nearly inane errand and get home around 2 hours after work - maybe. (Actually, this is okay. None of this stuff is essential, but now that I'm not taking evening classes, I just have a lot more time.)

I think I'll need a tranquilizer after today's work, though. It's mandatory training day, where I take some online courses, including one for disposal of hazardous chemicals. Whoever made this course was a fiend!

If you unthinkingly click the first button, it takes you to a tutorial explaining how the course operates. Screw that! I restart the course and hit the button to take the final test, instead. Seriously! This course takes about an hour and I have a lot better things to do than go through a mindlessly boring safety course.

Turns out it's a hard test - at least if you haven't read the material. I only scored a 69% and I needed a 70% to pass. Still, close enough that I'll probably pass the next time. How many unique questions can they have. Some of the ones I missed the first time will be repeated. That actually works, plus I get lucky on the few I don't know and get a 100%!

Except it turns out I'm not that lucky. When I exit the test, I've only met one of the criteria. Not only do you have to pass the test, you have to at least page through each page of material!

So I re-enter the course and it takes me back to the same place I was when I left off - the test! How the heck do I get somewhere in this maze where I can actually page through the course?! Why didn't I read the damn tutorial on how this stupid thing worked?!

Actually, if you look closely, there's a "Home" button in the lower left corner of the screen. It's almost as small as the ones on the other side of the screen, so I didn't notice it. Clicking the "Home" button actually worked! (Bottom left hand corner is a bad place to locate home buttons, by the way. Nobody looks down there.)

But then, not only do you actually have to page through each slide, you have to click on every single hyperlink on the page before it let's you go to the next page. Even if there are no hyperlinks, there seems to be a time delay so you have to spend a certain amount of time on each page before you can go to the next page. And after going through all this BS, it asks you intermediate questions along the way and you have to go back and review the material if you miss the intermediate question! As if a person could read the material when they're struggling to find ways to make this thing change pages quicker!

Geez, what an ordeal. And it's time estimate wasn't even correct. I wasted an hour and a half of my life struggling with that damn course! It seems specially designed to frustrate those of us that blow off these stupid courses and just take the always lame test that would be impossible to score less than 90% on unless you'd been dropped on your head as a child. Hmmm. I was kind of bummed out about getting a cerificate for the course in portrait mode, but I wonder if I could reprint it in landscape mode.

BobG said:
Geez, what an ordeal. And it's time estimate wasn't even correct. I wasted an hour and a half of my life struggling with that damn course! It seems specially designed to frustrate those of us that blow off these stupid courses and just take the always lame test that would be impossible to score less than 90% on unless you'd been dropped on your head as a child. Hmmm. I was kind of bummed out about getting a cerificate for the course in portrait mode, but I wonder if I could reprint it in landscape mode.

I always wondered if anyone out there actually frames these certificates on their wall... "And this one shows that I learned not to drive into trees upon leaving work, and this one shows that I know not to drink paint thinner."

Pattonias said:
I always wondered if anyone out there actually frames these certificates on their wall... "And this one shows that I learned not to drive into trees upon leaving work, and this one shows that I know not to drink paint thinner."

Some people frame their certificate when they pass their urinalysis test.

After a hard day's work? At home I drive my wife and kids to their respective classes, boyfriends houses, activities, etc. I run my chores, fix what's broken, rake leaves, cut grass, shovel snow, and other yard work. I go to work to relax.

BobG said:
Seriously! This course takes about an hour and I have a lot better things to do than go through a mindlessly boring safety course.
The site safety orientations have got worse.
It used to be you would arrive at a site, be asked "got a hard hat and hi-vis jacket? " - which I was wearing when they asked - and then allowed to get to work.

Now you have to watch a 30min training video that is a cross between a PR pitch and a united way commercial, "global$corp mine is the largest producer of arsenic and asbestos in the work and promotes green endevours in the local community" along with shots of smiling children and waving flags.
Then you have to take an online test with multiple choice questions asking if you should wear a hardhat on site

Oh, boy! I got a really lucrative contract at a pulp and paper mill in Georgia, but since I was consulting on the operation of Kraft chemical recovery boilers, power boilers, turbine generator, and electrical distribution systems (all pretty dangerous and valuable stuff), they required me to carry $1M in professional liability insurance AND be covered by Workers Comp insurance. My business was a one-man show, but I managed to buy a policy to cover my "employees" even though I could never legally file a claim for any injury. Because I had to buy a WC policy to show the paperwork to the mill's management, the state assumed that I had employees. Then the state bureau of taxation sent me threatening letters ever few weeks because I was not withholding state taxes or unemployment insurance on my "employees". It was like a Monty Python show.

BobG said:
It seems specially designed to frustrate those of us that blow off these stupid courses and just take the always lame test that would be impossible to score less than 90% on unless you'd been dropped on your head as a child.
Same thing here for me. But the course I had to take was required to use their/government computers. Funny; I thought that what I was doing.

After my three-year-old daughter goes to bed, I find that going out with my scope and doing an hour or two of observing "unwinds" me.

BobG said:
I seem to have fallen into a routine of having to complete some nearly inane errand and get home around 2 hours after work - maybe. (Actually, this is okay. None of this stuff is essential, but now that I'm not taking evening classes, I just have a lot more time.)

I think I'll need a tranquilizer after today's work, though. It's mandatory training day, where I take some online courses, including one for disposal of hazardous chemicals. Whoever made this course was a fiend!

If you unthinkingly click the first button, it takes you to a tutorial explaining how the course operates. Screw that! I restart the course and hit the button to take the final test, instead. Seriously! This course takes about an hour and I have a lot better things to do than go through a mindlessly boring safety course.

Turns out it's a hard test - at least if you haven't read the material. I only scored a 69% and I needed a 70% to pass. Still, close enough that I'll probably pass the next time. How many unique questions can they have. Some of the ones I missed the first time will be repeated. That actually works, plus I get lucky on the few I don't know and get a 100%!

Except it turns out I'm not that lucky. When I exit the test, I've only met one of the criteria. Not only do you have to pass the test, you have to at least page through each page of material!

So I re-enter the course and it takes me back to the same place I was when I left off - the test! How the heck do I get somewhere in this maze where I can actually page through the course?! Why didn't I read the damn tutorial on how this stupid thing worked?!

Actually, if you look closely, there's a "Home" button in the lower left corner of the screen. It's almost as small as the ones on the other side of the screen, so I didn't notice it. Clicking the "Home" button actually worked! (Bottom left hand corner is a bad place to locate home buttons, by the way. Nobody looks down there.)

But then, not only do you actually have to page through each slide, you have to click on every single hyperlink on the page before it let's you go to the next page. Even if there are no hyperlinks, there seems to be a time delay so you have to spend a certain amount of time on each page before you can go to the next page. And after going through all this BS, it asks you intermediate questions along the way and you have to go back and review the material if you miss the intermediate question! As if a person could read the material when they're struggling to find ways to make this thing change pages quicker!

My strategy is to open the learning material in a separate window and Ctrl-F on it while doing the test. That has always helped me score over 80 most times :)

George Jones said:
After my three-year-old daughter goes to bed, I find that going out with my scope and doing an hour or two of observing "unwinds" me.
Sounds lovely George. With all of the lights around my house, I'm lucky to see the moon. :frown:

George Jones said:
Sounds like fun George. So, what are your neighbors up to right now? :devil:

lisab said:
PF, of course.
Same here.

1. What is a post-work routine?

A post-work routine is a set of activities that an individual engages in after finishing their work or studies for the day. It can include various tasks such as exercising, relaxing, socializing, or pursuing hobbies and interests.

2. Should I study or play games after work?

The answer to this question depends on individual preferences and goals. If you have important exams or deadlines coming up, it may be more beneficial to spend your post-work time studying. However, if you feel mentally drained and need to unwind, playing games can be a great way to relax and recharge.

3. How can I balance studying and gaming in my post-work routine?

One way to balance studying and gaming in your post-work routine is by setting clear boundaries and time limits for each activity. For example, you can allocate a specific amount of time for studying and then take a break to play games for a set period. It's also important to prioritize and focus on what is most important to you at the time.

4. Will gaming affect my productivity in the long run?

It depends on how you manage your gaming habits. If you prioritize gaming over important tasks and neglect your responsibilities, it can have a negative impact on your productivity. However, if you incorporate gaming into your post-work routine in a healthy and balanced way, it can actually improve your overall productivity.

5. Is it better to have a fixed post-work routine or vary my activities each day?

Again, this depends on individual preferences and goals. Some people may prefer a fixed routine as it provides structure and consistency, while others may enjoy varying their activities each day to keep things interesting. It's important to find a routine that works best for you and allows you to achieve your desired goals.