Unusual Find: A US Dollar Bill Stamped with Red Ink

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ink
In summary, during a conversation about a US dollar bill stamped with red ink, it was mentioned that someone had marked it with "TRACK THIS BILL", "WHERESGEORGE.COM" and a musical symbol. The website Where's George was also discussed, where people can enter information about bills they have received. One person mentioned that they had registered a dollar in 2007 and checked on its travels. The bill had traveled 80 miles in 323 days at an average of 0.25 miles per day, and was now 37 miles from its starting location. Another person mentioned checking on a bill that had traveled 40 miles. The bill in question had only traveled 10 miles since being recorded, leading to speculation
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I just noticed that a US dollar bill was stamped with red ink.

Someone went to the trouble of marking it with "TRACK THIS BILL", "WHERESGEORGE.COM" and an F-clef or bass clef.

If you receive a bill, one can enter information about it at www.wheresgeorge.com. Registration is not needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow, almost forgot about it. I registered a dollar back in 2007. Just logged in check up on it.

This bill has traveled 80 Miles in 323 Days, 12 Hrs, 40 Mins at an average of 0.25 Miles per day.
It is now 37 Miles from its starting location.

although there is no more subsequent forum entries after mine.

some guy before me wrote that got the dollar at a car wash.

Astronuc said:
I just noticed that a US dollar bill was stamped with red ink.

Someone went to the trouble of marking it with "TRACK THIS BILL", "WHERESGEORGE.COM" and an F-clef or bass clef.

If you receive a bill, one can enter information about it at www.wheresgeorge.com. Registration is not needed.
So how far did yours travel. I checked one a few years ago that had started in Kansas City and made it to Perry. Maybe 40 miles or so.

dlgoff said:
So how far did yours travel. I checked one a few years ago that had started in Kansas City and made it to Perry. Maybe 40 miles or so.
Well it looks well-traveled since it's torn. It only went 10 miles since it was recorded, so I don't know if the last person recorded it, or many others have ignored the "Wheresgeorge" project.

What does it mean when a US dollar bill is stamped with red ink?

When a US dollar bill is stamped with red ink, it is considered an "unusual find" because it is not a common occurrence. This stamping could have been done for a variety of reasons, such as to mark it as a counterfeit or to track its circulation. It could also be a collector's stamp or part of a social or political statement.

Is a US dollar bill with red ink stamping worth more than a regular bill?

The value of a US dollar bill with red ink stamping is subjective and depends on the individual who is interested in purchasing it. Some collectors may find it valuable due to its rarity, while others may not see any added value to it. The face value of the bill remains the same no matter the stamping.

How can I determine the authenticity of a US dollar bill with red ink stamping?

To determine the authenticity of a US dollar bill with red ink stamping, you can follow the same steps as you would with any other bill. Check for security features such as the watermark, security thread, and color-shifting ink. You can also compare the bill to a known authentic bill to see if the stamping matches up.

What should I do if I come across a US dollar bill with red ink stamping?

If you come across a US dollar bill with red ink stamping, you can continue using it as you would with any other bill. It is still considered legal tender and can be used for purchases. If you are unsure about its authenticity, you can take it to a bank or a currency exchange office for verification.

Are there any other instances of US dollar bills being stamped with red ink?

Yes, there have been other instances of US dollar bills being stamped with red ink. For example, during the Great Depression, stamping "money" on a bill was a common way of making a statement about the economy. Additionally, some businesses or organizations may use a stamp to mark their bills as a form of advertising or promotion.