Solve for the length of a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing out a sample of gold with a mass of 2.850 g into a cylindrical fiber with a radius of 2.800 μm. The solution involves converting units, using the equation V=M/D, and solving for the length (h) of the fiber. However, despite repeated attempts, the online physics homework system WileyPlus is not accepting the calculated answer.
lshine09

Homework Statement

Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber.If a sample of gold with a mass of 2.850 g is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.800 μm, what is the length (in m) of the fiber?

Homework Equations

Volume of Cylinder= (PI)(R^2)(h)
V=M/D

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I converted the density from g/cm3 in g/m3.
D= 19320000 g/m3

2. I use the equation V=M/D to solve for the Volume of the cylinder.
V=(2.850g)/(19320000 g/m3)
V= 1.475155E-7 m3

3. I converted the Radius from um into m
2.8 um * (1m/10E-6 um)= 2800000

4. I set the Volume of the cylinder equal to (PI)(R^2)(h) and plugged in the radius in m
(PI)(2800000^2)(h)= 1.475155E-7 m3

5. I then solved for h and got the answer of: 5.989E-21 (rounded to 4 SF)

I have gotten that answer over and over but our online physics homework system WileyPlus says it is incorrect. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
2.8μm=2.8x10-6m

ha THANKS! As always, a retarded mistake.

What is the formula for finding the length of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the length of a cylinder is L = V / πr^2, where L is the length, V is the volume, and r is the radius.

What information do I need to solve for the length of a cylinder?

To solve for the length of a cylinder, you will need to know either the volume or the radius of the cylinder. If you have the volume, you will also need to know the value of pi (π) and the radius. If you have the radius, you will also need to know the volume.

Can I use the same formula to find the length of any cylinder?

Yes, the formula L = V / πr^2 can be used to find the length of any cylinder, as long as you have the necessary information.

What units should I use for the length and radius in the formula?

The units for length and radius should be consistent with each other. For example, if the length is measured in inches, the radius should also be measured in inches. It is important to use the same units in order to get an accurate result.

Are there any special cases when solving for the length of a cylinder?

Yes, if the cylinder is a circular cylinder, the formula L = V / πr^2 can be simplified to L = h, where h is the height of the cylinder. This is because the volume of a circular cylinder is equal to the area of the base (πr^2) multiplied by the height (h).