Sarah Palin found something useful to do

• News
  • Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
In summary, Sarah Palin was appointed as a news analyst on Fox by Rupert Murdoch. Some found this decision amusing, while others saw it as a cunning neo-con plot to put liberal satirists like The Daily Show and The Colbert Report out of business. Many commented on the irony of Palin, who had previously blamed her defeat on the bias of the media, joining a heavily biased news network. Others saw it as a smart move on her part to gain more knowledge and air time before her potential run for election in the future. However, some pointed out her lack of intelligence and suitability for the role, citing quotes from her former campaign manager Steve Schmidt about her limited knowledge on various subjects.
humanino
Murdoch appointed her as news analyst on Fox. I guess not everybody will find this hilarious, but I do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought Ms. Palins defeat was blamed on the bias of the elite media - and then she joins the premier American News broadcaster

So she decided to educate herself on the world around her, by inventing the world around her and projecting it on the public? That is funny.

humanino said:
Murdoch appointed her as news analyst on Fox. I guess not everybody will find this hilarious, but I do.

The bolded word in the quote is what gave me a chuckle.

I am actually more excited to watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on her broadcast days. They'll certainly have a great deal more material after she's up and runnin'.

Dembadon said:
I am actually more excited to watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on her broadcast days. They'll certainly have a great deal more material after she's up and runnin'.
No - this is a cunning neo-con plot to put them out of business.
How can you satirize Palin as a news analyst? This is going to rob them of a big junk of material

I move that the title of this thread be changed to "Sarah Palin found something to do".

Ben Niehoff said:
I move that the title of this thread be changed to "Sarah Palin found something to do".

Hear, hear!

Ben Niehoff said:
I found it useful how she helps to clarify the concept of "fair and balanced" :tongue2:

Useful?

Sadly predictable. In fact I am pretty sure that I did predict it somewhere around here.

From governor to news analyst, and two years from now, coffee filter tester.

now all fox has to do is make Jessica Simpson as Palin's co-host/co-analyst, and the picture would be complete

Newai said:
From governor to news analyst, and two years from now, coffee filter tester.

Ohh totally.. She should replace Billy Mays and do As Seen On Tv

mgb_phys said:
I thought Ms. Palins defeat was blamed on the bias of the elite media - and then she joins the premier American News broadcaster

naw naw my friend ... she joined FOX. LMAO

rewebster said:
now all fox has to do is make Jessica Simpson as Palin's co-host/co-analyst, and the picture would be complete
I think Carrie Prejean would be a better choice, but that's just me.

This one is smarter than you people give her credit for. Next time she's up for election she's going to know the issues much better, and she gets air time every single day in the process while being paid. Smart move on her part.

FOX news analyst, well she did find something that matches her skill level.

Book: GAME CHANGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
This one is smarter than you people give her credit for. Next time she's up for election she's going to know the issues much better, and she gets air time every single day in the process while being paid. Smart move on her part.

I thought the whole reason she resigned from being Gov. was to get away from "politics as usual." Would it not be enormously hypocritical to then run again? I am surprised that she even joined such a strongly biased "news network" and, in my opinion, placed huge emphasis on just how ludicrous and disingenuous her reason for resignation was in the first place.

Cyrus said:
No, she gets credit for being a lot smarter than she is. According to Steve Schmidt (McCain's campaign manager), she thought the Iraqi government planned the WTC attacks, didn't know that North Korea and South Korea were separate countries, and thought the the entire continent of Africa was a country. After switching colleges 6 times in 6 years, we might expect some gaps in her knowledge, but this is ridiculous. Schmidt says that if she is the GOP candidate in 2012, it would be catastrophic for the party. He knows her intellectual limitations, probably better than anyone, since he and her other handlers had to work overtime to prepare her for even the most basic public statements.

turbo-1 said:
No, she gets credit for being a lot smarter than she is. According to Steve Schmidt (McCain's campaign manager), she thought the Iraqi government planned the WTC attacks, didn't know that North Korea and South Korea were separate countries, and thought the the entire continent of Africa was a country. After switching colleges 6 times in 6 years, we might expect some gaps in her knowledge, but this is ridiculous. Schmidt says that if she is the GOP candidate in 2012, it would be catastrophic for the party. He knows her intellectual limitations, probably better than anyone, since he and her other handlers had to work overtime to prepare her for even the most basic public statements.

Did you read what I wrote? Obviously not.

Dembadon said:
I thought the whole reason she resigned from being Gov. was to get away from "politics as usual." Would it not be enormously hypocritical to then run again? I am surprised that she even joined such a strongly biased "news network" and, in my opinion, placed huge emphasis on just how ludicrous and disingenuous her reason for resignation was in the first place.

You are naive then, because you believe what comes out of her mouth. You really think she left because of "politics as usual"? She is politics as usual.

Cyrus said:
Did you read what I wrote? Obviously not.
Yes, I read it and parsed it thoroughly to try to figure out what you meant. Palin is sly, back-biting, and mercenary, and is shamelessly self-promoting, and she can make a ton of money off the celebrity granted her by McCain's ill-conceived VP choice. That does not mean that she is smart. Her "intelligence" is highly over-stated in the face of glaring evidence to the contrary.

Greedy, crafty, willing to quit her obligations when there is money to be made? Yes. Smart? Not unless you are a Ferengi, and measure greatness in money.

Cyrus said:
Dembadon said:
You are naive then, because you believe what comes out of her mouth. You really think she left because of "politics as usual"? She is politics as usual.

I don't believe her, which is why I said her reason was ludicrous and disingenuous. I'm simply holding her accountable for what she says.

Um. Political forum?

Shoo! Shoo!

turbo-1 said:
Yes, I read it and parsed it thoroughly to try to figure out what you meant. Palin is sly, back-biting, and mercenary, and is shamelessly self-promoting, and

Why do you say she is back-biting and mercenary?

What I find interesting is one could also say the same about Barack Obama in certain ways (or do people think he spent twenty years in a church with a racist pastor like that out of pure ignorance?), I do not see such disdain over him though from the people who seem to disdain Palin (would be extremely interesting to see people's reactions if it was reversed, if it was found Palin had attended a church like that for twenty years).

So there is a double-standard there I think. People who criticized Barack Obama on this issue who also criticize Sarah Palin, fine, but I find it odd that many who criticize Sarah Palin as being "evil" and "conniving" so much let Barack Obama slide totally on that issue.

Greedy, crafty, willing to quit her obligations when there is money to be made? Yes. Smart? Not unless you are a Ferengi, and measure greatness in money.

Palin resigned because of the incredibly lax laws in Alaska regarding being able to sue a public official plus the public officials have no financial protection from the lawsuits. They must pay out of pocket.

The Democrats pulled a very, in my opinion, snake-oil, but extremely effective and perfectly legal political tactic by exploiting those laws to file lawsuit after lawsuit against her, which would ultimately have either led her into declaring personal bankruptcy or resigning, which she did.

She could not fulfill her obligations, as her entire staff and she were consumed with the lawsuits.

Nonetheless, that is politics, it is a full-contact sport.

On the issues, I like Palin, and no doubt she is crafty, but I do not think she is conversant enough in the issues for the Presidency right now.

The thing is, I do not think Barack Obama really was conversant in the issues enough either, I mean remember he did things like refer to Iran as a "tiny country." But the media gave him a softball. But that is not an excuse in terms of Palin. I do think she could have handled the VP job just fine though, I mean Biden made that huge gaffe where he talked about FDR getting on the television in 1929 yet no one panicked over the idea of him as VP.

From what I have read about that book "Game Change," it actually gives dirt on ALL the politicians in the campaign. In addition to saying Palin is not intelligent, it also says Barack Obama swears a lot and throws fits behind the scenes, that he could not believe he had to pick Biden as a VP, that Biden was very condescending to him as a candidate, that he asked Hillary multiple times to be his Secretary of State because he "needed her," Hillary said she could not do the job because of Bill's big mouth, that John Edward's wife was very cruel to him and would belittle him in front of people a lot and is not the pure-hearted, innocent wife that she has portrayed herself as, etc...sounds very interesting.

One other thing on Palin, the ball is officially in her court now. She has loads of critics who call her stupid, well now she has a forum on Fox News, on the highest-rated cable news program (O'Reilly Factor) to explain her points and views and prove the critics wrong.

If she cannot do that, that will be her own fault.

Nebula815 said:
Barack Obama
Hey, that was a humourus thread about Fox news hiring Palin !

humanino said:
Hey, that was a humourus thread about Fox news hiring Palin !

I was just pointing out what I see as a bit of a double-standard in criticisms over Palin's character from some people (not specifically turbo-1, I just mean in general).

Nebula815 said:
I was just [strike]pointing out what I see as a bit of a double-standard in criticisms over Palin's character from some people[/strike] going on a rant about a topic completely unrelated to the thread topic

There, fixed it for you.

Ohh man John Stewart is pwning her at the Daily Show right now.

Now that isn't nice...

Palin does face a double standard. She is breaking the ineptness barrier. For too long, we've passed inept people over for people we called "able". Well, now Palin stands like a MLK of ineptness, and hordes of inept people will follow her banner to victory!

Sorry if that offended anyone, but if one person laughs then it's worth it.

Nebula815 said:
I was just pointing out what I see as a bit of a double-standard in criticisms over Palin's character from some people (not specifically turbo-1, I just mean in general).

With respect to attacks on character, I don't hear more attacks directed at her compared to "Joe Average Candidate." It seems an evenly distributed slug-fest to me. Now, I admit I really haven't done real research into it...due to mainly to lack of interest :tongue2:...this is just my opinion based on what media I see.

What I do hear is many, many comments on her intelligence, and she has not effectively refuted them.

But what you quoted from that book...some of those perceived "character flaws" I wouldn't classify as such (sweating is not a character flaw). While it might make interesting reading for people who like celebrity gossip columns, frankly, it also humanizes the candidates, so maybe something good comes of it.

But lack of intelligence isn't a character flaw either; rather, it's an inadequate foundation from which to lead.

lisab said:
What I do hear is many, many comments on her intelligence, and she has not effectively refuted them.

I agree; as said, she has the perfect forum to do so now, so if she does not, that is her fault. Palin is like a wild card right now, because on the one hand, for example, she was known to be a very good debater from her Alaska debates. However, on national and international issues, she seemed to be rather clueless in too many areas. Then there is what Steve Schimdt supposedly said, but then they also said she was a quick study nonetheless.

Then there was her Katie Couric interview where she couldn't name what publications she reads. I mean even if she doesn't read them, how hard is it to just tick off the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, etc...? It seems like she is intelligent, but rather ignorant in many areas, but if she is in fact intelligent, she can fix the ignorance part and re-brand herself. On issues she doesn't know much about, she comes acorss as very canned, however if she knows an issue, she seems to come across fine with it.

So we will see.

But lack of intelligence isn't a character flaw either; rather, it's an inadequate foundation from which to lead.

No no, I wasn't trying to imply that it was, and I agree, if someone is legitimately ignorant or stupid, you don't want them leading.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Yes, I read it and parsed it thoroughly to try to figure out what you meant. Palin is sly, back-biting, and mercenary, and is shamelessly self-promoting, and she can make a ton of money off the celebrity granted her by McCain's ill-conceived VP choice. That does not mean that she is smart. Her "intelligence" is highly over-stated in the face of glaring evidence to the contrary.

Again - as I said. She is smarter than you give her credit for.

Cyrus said:
Again - as I said. She is smarter than you give her credit for.

I suppose you could call it another type of intelligence. I heard some snippets of her debates from the AK race. She certainly sounded good though if you paid attention she was really just making a slick side step of most questions and spewing sound bites from her platform.

Statu, that's what politicians do.

That's the way they get elected.

Cyrus said:

She also continues to expose herself as a crackpot. The fact is that the more America got to know Ms. Palin, the less they liked her. Her polls shot up for a few weeks and continually dropped after that, She will appeal to the wacky base, of course, but even after the last decade, it is hard to imagine that all but the extreme right will fall for her line of bull again. Her only real advantage was that no one knew anything about her. McCain brought her on hoping that the gun-toten mama image would be enough to last the election. It wasn't. Now even he admits that he screwed up.

"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care...
- Sarah Palin
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sarahpalin/a/palin-top-10.htm
http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=politicalhumor&cdn=entertainment&tm=538&gps=512_363_1276_571&f=00&su=p504.3.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.facebook.com/note.php%3Fnote_id%3D113851103434

When you say smart, do you mean in that she is willing stoop to any level, no matter how low, in order to terrorize the country into voting for her? I would agree that she is ruthless and highly deceptive; I'll give her that. But that doesn't require that one be intelligent. Any fool can be ruthless and deceptive.

Perhaps you could explain the basis for your statement? I don't see taking easy money from Fox as being smart; it's a no-brainer. What else is she going to do? Did she ditch the Governer's office for advanced political training? Probably. So, she's a quitter; she failed to perform her duties when elected to office; has never completed a full term of office, beyond that of city mayor. That will go far in an election. An absolutely cunning move!

I am more than amused when I hear about how competitive she was in Alaska - population, 687,000. And even they probably wouldn't take her back now.

Last edited by a moderator: