Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) and FILTER SMOKE NUMBER(FSN)

In summary, a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) is a device used in the automotive industry to measure the amount of smoke emitted from a vehicle's exhaust system. It works by measuring the opacity of the smoke and converting it into a numerical value known as the Filter Smoke Number (FSN). The FSN is used by technicians and regulatory agencies to diagnose potential engine problems and ensure emissions standards are met. A high FSN can be caused by issues such as a malfunctioning fuel injection system or poor fuel quality.
nanao
Anyone who can tell me the corelation between Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) and FILTER SMOKE NUMBER(FSN) as I have the two systems giving one in HSU and the other in FSN.I would like to compare the result given by the two SYSTEM

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's a nice correlation chart (with the other smoke units) available, I think I got mine from Dieselnet. Have a look there.

What is a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU)?

A Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) is a device used in the automotive industry to measure the amount of smoke emitted from a vehicle's exhaust system. It measures the opacity of the smoke, which is an indicator of the vehicle's emissions and can help diagnose potential engine problems.

How does a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) work?

The HSU works by drawing a sample of exhaust gas into a chamber where it is exposed to a beam of light. The amount of light that is blocked by the smoke is measured and converted into a numerical value, known as the Filter Smoke Number (FSN).

What is the Filter Smoke Number (FSN)?

The Filter Smoke Number (FSN) is a numerical value that represents the opacity of the smoke emitted from a vehicle's exhaust. It is measured by the Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) and is used to determine the level of emissions and potential engine problems.

How is the Filter Smoke Number (FSN) used?

The FSN is used by technicians and mechanics to diagnose potential engine problems and to ensure that a vehicle is meeting emissions standards. It is also used by regulatory agencies to monitor and enforce emissions regulations.

What are some common causes of a high Filter Smoke Number (FSN)?

A high FSN can be caused by a number of factors, including a malfunctioning fuel injection system, a clogged air filter, or an issue with the exhaust system. It can also be a sign of poor fuel quality or incorrect fuel-to-air ratio.