Adiabatic compression at a constant rate

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for force as a function of time in an adiabatic process involving a cylindrical container of an ideal gas with a movable end and a constant rate of compression. The equation P V^gamma = constant is suggested as a solution, but the person asking the question is unfamiliar with it and requests a more explicit explanation. The expert responds by breaking down the problem into different equations and manipulating them to get the final equation for force. The person thanks the expert for their help and patience.
Darvaz
I came up with this question a while ago, and my Physics teacher and I just can't get the math to work.

Here it is:

A cylindrical container of base area A and height h holds some number of moles, n, of an ideal gas. One end of the container is movable, and a force F is applied to that end. If the rate of compression of the gas is constant, i.e. the derivative of h with respect to time is constant, and the process is adiabatic, what is the equation of F as a function of time?

If this isn't clear enough, let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using

P V^gamma = constant

seems to solve the problem in a straightforward way...

I don't see how. I was unfamiliar with that formula, so I looked it up and read the proof, and I don't really see how it relates to the question. Could you be more explicit, please?

gamma = ratio of specific heats for an adiabatic compression.

So you have the volume as a function of time or did I misunderstand that? So A is a constant and volume is a function of h. If you have h, you have volume, and you have pressure also because pressure is dependent only on volume. Pressure is a function of h.

It doesn't matter how fast h changes. Pressure (and thus the force) is a function only of volume. You should be able to come up with an equation that relates pressure (and thus the force) with volume, right? From there, it should be easy to relate volume to time. They are linearly dependent.

Adiabatic process definition:

[tex]P_{\left(t\right)}V_{\left(t\right)}^{k}=P_{\left(0\right)}V_{\left(0\right)}^{k}[/tex]

Volume definition:

[tex]V_{\left(t\right)}= A h_{\left(t\right)}[/tex]

Gauge pressure definition:

[tex]P_{\left(t\right)}=P_{\left(0\right)} + \Delta P_{\left(t\right)}[/tex]

Force definition:

[tex]F_{\left(t\right)}=\Delta P_{\left(t\right)}A[/tex]

Height definition (given; C = constant):

[tex]h_{\left(t\right)}=h-Ct[/tex]

Then (if I didn't make any mistake):

[tex]F_{\left(t\right)}=P_{\left(0\right)}A\left[ \left( \frac{h}{h-Ct} \right)^{k} -1 \right][/tex]

jack action said:
[tex]F_{\left(t\right)}=P_{\left(0\right)}A\left[ \left( \frac{h}{h-Ct} \right)^{k} -1 \right][/tex]

This almost clears it up, the graph looks roughly like what we expected and everything. My one question is this: How did you get algebraically from the given equations you posted to this one? The unit-less factor, h/h-Ct etc, specifically.Thanks for your help and patience.

Darvaz said:
This almost clears it up, the graph looks roughly like what we expected and everything. My one question is this: How did you get algebraically from the given equations you posted to this one? The unit-less factor, h/h-Ct etc, specifically.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Just start with this:

[tex]F_{\left(t\right)}=\Delta P_{\left(t\right)}A[/tex]

Then use [tex]P_{\left(t\right)}=P_{\left(0\right)} + \Delta P_{\left(t\right)}[/tex] to replace [tex]\Delta P_{\left(t\right)}[/tex] and so on. That's pretty straightforward manipulation.

Just remember that [tex]h_{\left(0\right)}=h_{\left(t=0\right)}=h-C \left(0\right) = h[/tex]

1. What is adiabatic compression at a constant rate?

Adiabatic compression at a constant rate is a process in which a gas is compressed without any heat exchange with its surroundings, and the compression rate remains constant throughout the process.

2. How does adiabatic compression at a constant rate differ from isothermal compression?

In adiabatic compression at a constant rate, the temperature of the gas increases as it is compressed, whereas in isothermal compression, the temperature remains constant. Additionally, the compression rate is constant in adiabatic compression, whereas it varies in isothermal compression.

3. What is the equation for adiabatic compression at a constant rate?

The equation for adiabatic compression at a constant rate is P1V1^γ = P2V2^γ, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume of the gas, P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume of the gas, and γ is the ratio of specific heats for the gas.

4. What are some real-world applications of adiabatic compression at a constant rate?

Adiabatic compression at a constant rate is used in various industrial processes, such as in the compression of gases for storage or transportation, in refrigeration systems, and in the operation of gas turbines.

5. What are the limitations of adiabatic compression at a constant rate?

Adiabatic compression at a constant rate is limited by the maximum pressure that the gas can withstand without undergoing a phase change. It also requires a high level of precision and control to maintain a constant compression rate throughout the process.