Major Decision: Advice for Picking Degree Programs

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on their academic and career path. They have interests in physics, EE, and computer science, and are unsure about which major or degree program to choose. They envision their ideal job to involve data analysis, programming, and research in a remote setting. They are also considering pursuing a PhD, but are concerned about potential job opportunities and balancing their personal life. Others in the conversation suggest adding more math courses and potentially working for a year or two before starting a PhD. Overall, there is a discussion about the pros and cons of different academic and career paths in relation to the person's interests and goals.
wclawson
Hey guys,

I've been a fly on the wall in these forums for a while, and I'd like some advice from everyone.

I just received my acceptance letter for the University of Rochester, my major is Physics. I completed Calc I through III and Physics I and II at a local community college, and enjoyed all the classes.

I also have strong interests in EE, and Comp Sci. I also have room to double major, but I am having a difficult time deciding what exactly.

I was hoping that if I provide a description of my "ideal job", you all could make some suggestions and point me in the right direction.

I would love to work in the middle of the mountains at some sort of remote sensing lab, research lab, etc. Doing mainly data analysis, troubleshooting, researching, or setting up new equipment, making reports, that sort of thing. If its electrical/computer, I could spend 24/7 working with it. Small group of people, working together, with no accountants or customers needing help ringing my phone. A good daily mix of programming, studying/analyzing, building/repairing, you get the idea.

I realize this may be highly fictional, I am only trying to explain my interests.

If i had it my way, I could spend the next 15 years of my life studying everything that interests me, but that can't happen. I do intent on attending graduate school, but am unsure of the combination of degree programs mentioned. I feel I have a too diverse area of interests to just study physics in undergrad/grad school.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, I should have posted this in the Academic Guidance section. Can someone move it?

Anyone with input yet?

wclawson said:
Oops, I should have posted this in the Academic Guidance section. Can someone move it?

Anyone with input yet?

I think in a lot of ways it is a coin toss. Engineering can open a lot of doors but from what you wrote, CS sounds like it would be a great fit for you.

My only advice would be to throw in some extra math, at least up to ODEs and Linear Algebra. That background helps if you start looking at graduate school.

Thanks for your input.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to either phd physics or ms EE after I complete my BS physics.

I want a kick *** job after I graduate, and I'd like to start a family soon after as well. I am afraid that if I go phd I will be further away from that (true?/false?) and have less luck finding a decent paying job with potential. However, at some point, I would like to retire and teach, be it at a community college or university. That is a large reason I keep my eye on the phd.

---> I am especially interested in radio astronomy.

If I dual major in physics and EE, and then go phd in physics, will I still be able to find jobs that would interest me (see 1st post) or would I be over-qualified? or perhaps phd in EE?

I have been reading the forums more and more each day and you must forgive me, I have noticed these questions are all over the place. Thanks for checking my thread out, and thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:
I am afraid that if I go phd I will be further away from that (true?/false?)
Well this depends on many factors. Ultimately it will open up many opportunities. Yes it will take extra time and it won't be easier, but it could be well worth it.

Theorem. said:
Well this depends on many factors. Ultimately it will open up many opportunities. Yes it will take extra time and it won't be easier, but it could be well worth it.

yep, i agree. if you want it, just go for it!

After doing some more reading, I feel I am approaching my decision. I'm becoming especially interested in communication systems and radio astronomy (as mentioned above) and I definitely want to study EE, be it undergrad or grad. I am now becoming afraid that if I choose physics for undergrad and ee for grad, I will loose out on some beneficial learning for ee. Is this true?

Do companies look for people specifically with both undergrad ee and grad ee?

Does having a physics undergrad and ee grad make me better at an ee employed position?

Last edited:
If you're really interested in becoming a serious researcher, then you really should go for a PhD in a relevant field. But there's no reason you can't work for a year or two before starting your PhD. After working for a bit and interacting with people who work in astronomy, you'll probably have a much better idea of exactly what you want to research for your PhD.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a degree program?

When picking a degree program, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and career goals. You should also think about the job market demand for the degree, the program's curriculum and requirements, and the reputation and accreditation of the institution offering the degree.

2. Should I choose a degree program based on potential earnings?

Earning potential should not be the only factor in your decision. While it is important to consider the job market demand and potential salary for your chosen degree, it is more important to choose a program that aligns with your interests and strengths. This will ultimately lead to greater job satisfaction and success in your career.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized or a general degree program?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. Specialized degree programs can provide in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, while general degree programs offer a broader education and can be useful for a variety of career paths. Consider your long-term career goals when deciding between a specialized or general degree program.

4. How important is the reputation of the institution offering the degree program?

The reputation of the institution can play a significant role in your future job prospects and networking opportunities. Employers often value degrees from reputable institutions and it can also open doors for further education and career advancement. It is important to research the reputation and accreditation of the institution before making your decision.

5. Can I change my degree program if I realize it's not the right fit?

Yes, it is possible to change your degree program if you realize it's not the right fit for you. However, changing degree programs can be time-consuming and costly, so it's important to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a decision. It's also a good idea to speak with your academic advisor for guidance on switching programs.