Exploring Borel Spaces and Sigma Algebras in Stochastic Calculus for Finance

• Thread starter Iforgot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finance
In summary: I'm still in the process of getting experience and building some credibility. But I think it definitely helps.
Iforgot
Hey,

I'm studying for interviews at the big finance firms, where I hear they grill you on stochastic calculus and finance stuff.

I'm currently studying Oksendal and Shreve, and while I can follow the applied math parts, I would like to get a firmer grasp on the pure math parts. Does anyone know what subject Borel spaces and sigma algebras fall under, and recommend any books on the subject.

Iforgot

Physics news on Phys.org
Measure theory and probability. There are lots of free introductory materials online waiting for you to google.

Iforgot said:
I'm studying for interviews at the big finance firms, where I hear they grill you on stochastic calculus and finance stuff.

Yes and no. If you don't have deep background on SDE's, then they are likely to see if you know what Ito's lemma is and then grill you on whatever you did your Ph.D. research on.

Something I'd read up on is measure theory and maybe something on markov processes. Also, if you are a physics geek, then it might help if you read up on some very basic statistics and econometrics.

The other thing that will help you is the format of the interview. What will happen is that you will be asked increasingly difficult questions until you get to something that you don't know. What people are interested in seeing is both the limit of your knowledge, but also how you react when you hit your limits.

Iforgot said:
Hey,

I'm currently studying Oksendal and Shreve, and while I can follow the applied math parts, I would like to get a firmer grasp on the pure math parts. Does anyone know what subject Borel spaces and sigma algebras fall under, and recommend any books on the subject.

Hi there, Iforgot.

I do not want to hijack your thread but I am curious to know how you are finding those textbooks? My expertise is in graph theory - when I began considering jobs in finance I had thought this would serve me well, now I don't really think so. Graph theory is math, but it isn't really complicated. I am not sure how much my applications in data mining will help.. May I ask where your own background lies? I wonder how much self-studying will be 'accepted' - obviously I am taking a similar approach to you and learning whatever I can about related topics, I just hope not using this material in a professional capacity will pose no disadvantage.

Good luck with any interviews.

Neil.

It's ok to hijack. I'll forgive you.

I found these textbooks through friends in my program, who found out through their connections.

I just finished my PhD in physics.

Accepted self studying: I've seen it take people a long way. Personally, I haven't taken it anywhere yet.

1. What is Stoch Calc for Finance Q?

Stoch Calc for Finance Q is a mathematical tool used in finance to model and analyze financial processes that have a random component, such as stock prices or interest rates. It combines concepts from stochastic calculus and probability theory to help understand and predict market behavior.

2. How is Stoch Calc for Finance Q different from traditional finance models?

Unlike traditional finance models, which assume that market variables follow a deterministic path, Stoch Calc for Finance Q takes into account the random nature of financial processes. This allows for a more realistic representation of market behavior and can lead to more accurate predictions.

3. What are some common applications of Stoch Calc for Finance Q?

Stoch Calc for Finance Q is used in various areas of finance, including option pricing, risk management, and portfolio optimization. It is also used in other fields such as insurance, engineering, and physics, where random processes play a significant role.

4. Is Stoch Calc for Finance Q difficult to learn?

Stoch Calc for Finance Q can be challenging to learn, as it requires a solid understanding of stochastic calculus and probability theory. However, there are many resources available, such as textbooks and online courses, that can help individuals learn and apply this tool in their work.

5. How can Stoch Calc for Finance Q be beneficial for investors?

Stoch Calc for Finance Q can be useful for investors as it provides a more accurate representation of market behavior, which can help in making informed investment decisions. It also allows for the evaluation of risk and can help in creating more efficient and diversified portfolios.