Connection between hurricanes and tornadoes

• Thread starter Rothiemurchus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, tornadoes are not small versions of hurricanes and have vastly different physics. They are formed by single thunderstorms and are thousands of times smaller than hurricanes, which are entire weather systems fueled by warm ocean water. Tornadoes rotate counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere due to the Coriolis effect, but on rare occasions, a thunderstorm can form with a clockwise spin and produce clockwise-spinning tornadoes. Tornadoes cannot merge to form a hurricane.
Rothiemurchus
Is a tornado a small version of a hurricane or do they
have vastly different physics?
Could lots of tornadoes come together to form a hurricane?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say they have "vastly different physics," but they are very different and pretty well unrelated weather phenomena. Tornadoes are formed by single thunderclouds with updrafts (from hot ground) so strong that the air starts spinning as it rises. They are localized, self-contained, short-lived, and thousands of times smaller than hurricanes. Hurricanes are entire weather systems, fueled by warm ocean water. While a tornado is a small piece of a piece storm, a hurrican is a storm. Tornados contain winds roughly twice as fast as in a hurricane. They can't group together into a hurricane.

Do tornadoes rotate counter-clockwise like hurricanes in the northern hemisphere? I'm leaning towards a "yes", but am unsure where Coriolis' limit of influence stands. I suspect a small lab tornadoe could be in either direction. Any thoughts on this anyone?

hurricanes spaun tornadoes in the NE sector
frances had about a 100 twisters even after it was down from
hurricane force winds to a depression

but the twisters can't form into a cane

both spin the same way

What happens if two tornadoes merge?
Does the wind speed get greater,pressure lower etc?

Gonzolo said:
Do tornadoes rotate counter-clockwise like hurricanes in the northern hemisphere? I'm leaning towards a "yes", but am unsure where Coriolis' limit of influence stands. I suspect a small lab tornadoe could be in either direction. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Although the Coriolis effect does not have any direct influence over a phenomenon as small as a tornado (or at least, none wirth noting), there is, nonetheless, a strong causal link. Tornadoes are spawned by thunderstorms (including hurricanes), and thunderstorms are large enough to be influenced by the Coriolis effect. A hurricane in the northern hemisphere always spin counterclockwise, and will always spawn counterclockwise-spinning tornadoes. Most thunderstorms in the northern hemisphere have some counterclockwise rotation as well, and give birth to tornadoes with likewise spin. This accounts for about 99% of all tornadoes in the northern hemisphere.

However, on rare occasion a thunderstorm can form with a clockwise spin in the northern hemisphere. Such a storm will spin off clockwise-spinning tornadoes.

Thanks, LURCH.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Rothiemurchus. As for your last question, I would suspect that yes, but I'm not sure.

What is the connection between hurricanes and tornadoes?

Hurricanes and tornadoes are both types of severe weather phenomena that can cause significant damage and destruction. However, they are formed through different processes and have distinct characteristics.

Can hurricanes cause tornadoes?

Yes, hurricanes can cause tornadoes. In fact, many hurricanes produce tornadoes as they move over land. These tornadoes are typically weaker and shorter-lived than traditional tornadoes, but can still be dangerous.

How are hurricanes and tornadoes similar?

Both hurricanes and tornadoes are characterized by strong winds and heavy rain. They can both cause damage to buildings and infrastructure, and can be deadly. Additionally, both are formed by hot and humid air rising and creating thunderstorms.

Why are tornadoes more common in hurricanes?

Tornadoes are more common in hurricanes because hurricanes provide the perfect conditions for tornado formation. The strong winds and changing air pressure within a hurricane can create the necessary conditions for tornadoes to develop.

What is the difference between hurricane-spawned tornadoes and traditional tornadoes?

Traditional tornadoes are formed by supercell thunderstorms, while hurricane-spawned tornadoes are formed within the larger system of a hurricane. They also tend to be weaker and shorter-lived compared to traditional tornadoes.