Mechanical Engineering + Minor

In summary: CS. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Thanks for the input everyone!In summary, Peter.Phil believes that if you are interested in materials/polymer science you should at least take the courses to learn the material. He thinks formally getting the minor would benefit you but he doubts it would hurt. Random Guy believes that if you like the propulsion track, Material Science can indeed help. However, the CS minor won't do you much unless you want to do computational research. Lastly, PETER.PHIL says that it depends on what you are looking for.
blynxGT
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore at Georgia Tech as a Mechanical engineering major. My ultimate goal is to do advanced research for aerospace but a bit more on the mechanical side (propulsion, structures, etc). I was wondering if getting a minor in polymer science/ material science would be a good decision. I have a an interest in chem and I think that now more than ever materials are key to aerospace vehicles. But also I am debating on whether or not to do a minor in computer science. My thinking behind this is that computers are here to stay and knowing atleast some theory and programming skills will be necessary. My problem with this is that people tend to pick up programming/ computer hardware skills as more of a hobby and that there is enough material out there to gain sufficient skill without going through a dedicated program. I do not have any programming experience beyond having to do MATLAB but I am interested in getting into IT. Can someone help me out? Can i find a way to do both? I have a co-op so atleast after work I have time to try new things. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you are interested in materials/polymer science you should at least take the courses to learn the material. I don't know if formally getting the minor would benefit you or not but I doubt it would hurt. As far as the computer stuff goes I don't think you need to get a minor in computer science unless that is what you are really interested. I was a mechanical engineer undergrad and now I am a graduate student in aerospace engineering. I work on the experimental side of things but I use MATLAB a lot and I have picked up enough through my one undergrad course and then just using it over the past several years. If you are interested in chemistry and computers maybe you would like computational research in propulsion and combustion.

I'll add to what Random Guy said and say that if you like the propulsion track, Material Science can indeed help. However, the CS minor won't do you much unless you want to do computational research.

Also I'm a similar case to RandomGuy88. My uni only gave us 2 weeks of Matlab before they switch over to an all MATLAB program (unlucky me). However, with only those 2 weeks and years of experience with it, I cannot tell you how many people want me to do something for them in MATLAB and I'm only a senior AE about to do my masters.

In a nutshell don't stress over the CS minor unless its something you want to do.

Mechanical engineers are f***in epic. They do EVERYTHING. So most companies will probably bump you up on the hire list if they see it.

Thanks viscous flow and RandomGuy. That was helpful. I think it would be better to just stick to what I enjoy the absolute must instead of trying to spread myself thin. I think polymers and mech eng will be the way to go and computers will be a hobby. Sorry for the late reply guys.

@ PETER.PHIL lol! I guess that is true. But then again work experience will be just as good if not have more weight than simply doing a minor

1. What is Mechanical Engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, analysis, and production of mechanical systems. This includes machines, engines, and other mechanical devices that are used in various industries.

2. What is a Minor in Mechanical Engineering?

A minor in mechanical engineering is a secondary area of study that complements the main focus of a student's degree program. It typically involves taking a smaller number of courses related to mechanical engineering, giving students a basic understanding of the field without requiring them to complete a full degree program.

3. What are the benefits of minoring in Mechanical Engineering?

Minoring in mechanical engineering can provide students with a strong foundation in the principles and practices of this field, which can enhance their skills and knowledge in their main area of study. It can also make them more marketable to employers, as mechanical engineering skills are highly sought after in many industries.

4. What are some common courses in a Minor in Mechanical Engineering?

Some common courses in a minor in mechanical engineering may include statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, materials science, and mechanical design. These courses cover topics such as forces, motion, energy, properties of materials, and the design process for mechanical systems.

5. Can a Minor in Mechanical Engineering lead to a career in this field?

While a minor in mechanical engineering may not be enough to qualify for a career as a mechanical engineer, it can provide a strong foundation for further education or entry-level positions in related fields such as manufacturing, product design, or energy systems. It can also be a valuable addition for those pursuing graduate studies in mechanical engineering.