Having second thoughts about my major

In summary, the conversation discusses a student who is in their third year of an engineering physics major, specifically focusing on the nuclear engineering aspect. The student is concerned about their job prospects and questions if they should have chosen mechanical engineering instead. They also express a desire to go to graduate school and wonder if switching into a more traditional engineering discipline would be beneficial. Other participants in the conversation encourage the student to stick with their chosen major and highlight the value of a degree in physical sciences.
tautology
I'm going to proceed to give enough background information as possible to help inform any advice. Basically, I picked a major and now I'm in third year I'm second guessing it. This link gives a list of course codes for courses I will be taking if you need specifics.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/calendar/current/pg1217.html
(N-stream)

I'm in third year, doing my second semester in engineering physics at a not-too-bad university in Canada. This major is subdivided into nanotechnology, photonics and nuclear engineering. I am in nuclear engineering and have no interest in the other two. The problem is many of the courses that are shared between all the engineering physics students are geared towards photonics and nanotechnology. We take a fairly diverse selection of courses. I would best describe it as a compromise between a physics and an engineering degree, hence the name.

I've noticed that many other universities pair nuclear engineering with mechanical engineering, often as a graduate program. I'm wondering if instead I should have done mechanical engineering and taken a whole slew of nuclear eng electives. In addition, a large number of job postings at nuclear companies want mechanical engineers. I'm starting to wonder how many 'nuclear engineers' are even hired.

I went into engineering as opposed to physics because I thought it was more likely to land me a good job. Physics and math are like catnip to me, so I have no general objection to taking these courses. I'm very worried that despite my excellent academic skills, ambition and motivation that my career is going to be destroyed because I chose to indulge in interesting physics/math courses in undergrad.

Should I turn back now and go for mechanical (it will delay graduation by one year)? Should I stay the course? I have always know I wanted to go to grad school. Would it be a good idea to switch into a more traditional engineering discipline when I apply?

Every comment is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
learn how to program and learn how to talk to people persuasively. you can sell crap in a bag if you sell it hard enough. even better if you can say "I have a degree in Nuclear Engineering. Therefore you should buy from me." Stick to it. I have a degree in Chemistry but I had no problems as a QC technician doing inventory stuff. I'd kill for the chance to sell stuff wiht a degree in Nuclear Engineering.

I recently graduated with a Chemistry degree in December and will admit many times I considered switching to an easier major (especially when I took PChem). Don't give up on yourself, and don't sell yourself short by saying you went to a "not-too-bad" school. Chill factor is right, you can sell crap in a bag if you are a skilled communicator. A degree in physical sciences is a strong degree and people recognize this.

1. What should I do if I am having second thoughts about my major?

If you are having second thoughts about your major, it is important to take some time to reflect on your interests, strengths, and career goals. Consider talking to a career counselor or academic advisor to explore your options and find a major that aligns with your passions and future plans.

2. Is it normal to have second thoughts about my major?

Yes, it is completely normal to have second thoughts about your major. Many students may feel pressure to choose a major early on in their academic career and may later realize that it is not the right fit for them. It is important to remember that it is never too late to change your major or pursue a different career path.

3. Will changing my major affect my graduation timeline?

Changing your major may affect your graduation timeline, but it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and classes for your new major. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to create a plan that will allow you to graduate on time or make adjustments as needed.

4. What if I have already invested time and money into my current major?

It can be difficult to change your major if you have already invested time and money into your current one. However, it is important to prioritize your long-term happiness and career goals. Consider the potential return on investment for a major that aligns with your passions and interests.

5. How can I explore different majors before making a decision?

There are several ways to explore different majors before making a decision. You can take elective courses in different fields, talk to students and professors in various majors, participate in internships or job shadowing opportunities, or attend career fairs and information sessions. It is important to gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision about your major.