Fresh ME Grad with 2.8 GPA - What Options?

• Thread starter XIX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa Grad
In summary, the individual is a fresh BSME graduate with an overall GPA of 2.8/4.0, but with a higher GPA of 3.3 in their final two semesters. They have a year's worth of experience in manufacturing engineering and are interested in transitioning to machine design, specifically in the area of thermodynamics. They are concerned about job requirements for a higher GPA and are considering different options, including personally contacting hiring representatives, taking a job in a different track to gain experience, or going back to school to improve their GPA. They are also seeking advice on whether GPA truly affects job outcomes and if they should take a less desirable job for the sake of gaining experience.
XIX
I am a fresh BSME graduate with an overall GPA of 2.8/4.0. After filtering through a bunch of job sites online, I must say that I am getting a little discouraged because I see requirements of 3.0+. It is unfortunate because after getting my act together my final two semesters were ~3.3.

I have a year's worth of experience doing manufacturing engineering with some special tooling design incorporated. I am looking at getting into the machine design side of things, particularly in the thermodynamics area. The work experience doesn't really add up to what I want to do but, I'm sure it's worth something.

I understand that once experience is gained GPA matters very little however, it's getting that first position that is the hard part. This is what I see my options being:

1) Personally contacting the hiring representative explaining my situation and interest. The hope here would be that my ambition would come across in taking an active role in obtaining the position rather than leaving it up to the numbers.

2) Taking a job in a manufacturing track (tends to require lower GPA) to get some kind of experience. The thinking here is that I would be able to build a few years experience even though it is not in the specific area that I have in mind which is machine design. After getting a few years experience, I could maybe get a job in an area I envision. This has me a little apprehensive because I fear that it could lock me into an area I don't enjoy but, I could also end up loving it.

3) As a very last resort, go back to school and retake classes to improve the GPA. This is a back against the wall option.

I ask, does GPA really have that much effect on job outcome? Would you suggest that I pick up a less desirable job in an area I wouldn't choose at first glance for sake of experience? If I could get an idea of what some other people in similar situations have experienced, I would feel more at ease knowing what to expect and then plan accordingly.

Physics news on Phys.org
XIX said:
1) Personally contacting the hiring representative explaining my situation and interest. The hope here would be that my ambition would come across in taking an active role in obtaining the position rather than leaving it up to the numbers.

This is probably what I'd do. As long as you make the effort to tailor each letter or e-mail so that it doesn't seem cookie-cutter.

Would you suggest that I pick up a less desirable job in an area I wouldn't choose at first glance for sake of experience?

No, but it depends a lot on your situation. If you need a job immediately you need to widen your search scope, for example.

1. What are my job options with a 2.8 GPA as a fresh ME graduate?

As a fresh ME graduate with a 2.8 GPA, your job options may be more limited compared to those with higher GPAs. However, there are still many options available to you. You can apply for entry-level positions in engineering or related fields, such as quality control, technical support, or design. You can also consider internships or co-op programs to gain more experience and potentially improve your GPA for future job opportunities.

2. Will my GPA affect my chances of getting a job?

While a higher GPA may make you more competitive for certain positions, it is not the only factor that employers consider. Your skills, experience, and personality also play a significant role in the hiring process. It is important to highlight your strengths and accomplishments in your job application and interviews, regardless of your GPA.

3. Can I still pursue graduate studies with a 2.8 GPA?

Yes, it is possible to pursue graduate studies with a 2.8 GPA. However, some programs may have minimum GPA requirements, so it is important to research and find programs that align with your academic record. You can also consider taking additional courses or retaking classes to improve your GPA before applying to graduate school.

4. How can I improve my job prospects with a low GPA?

There are several steps you can take to improve your job prospects with a low GPA. First, focus on gaining relevant experience through internships, co-op programs, or part-time jobs. This will not only enhance your skills but also demonstrate your dedication and work ethic to potential employers. Additionally, consider networking and attending career fairs to make connections and showcase your strengths outside of your GPA.

5. Is it worth mentioning my low GPA in my job application?

It is generally not recommended to mention your low GPA in your job application unless specifically asked. Instead, focus on highlighting your skills, experiences, and achievements that make you a strong candidate for the position. However, if you have a valid explanation for your low GPA, such as extenuating circumstances, you can mention it briefly and explain how you have grown and improved since then.