ME+? Finishing Tech Degree: EE, EET, or IMT

• Thread starter hakujin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation is about the person's dilemma between finishing their ME degree and pursuing a technology degree, specifically in the fields of Industrial Management, Electrical Engineering, or Manufacturing Technology. The person is considering a double major but is unsure about the value of a technology degree compared to a pure engineering degree in terms of employment opportunities and salary. Ultimately, they are seeking advice on which degree to pursue.
hakujin
ME+?(tech degree)

I won't bore anyone with details of my sad story or anything like that. Here is the jist of the situation. I, dispite the bullshhhh I recently was given at the hand of the head of a college engineering department, would like to finish my ME degree. (Turns out according to said source since I'm interested in building/creating/discovering things, a ME is not what I want.)

However, the 4 year I will finish up at also has several Techonology degrees I was thinking about finding a double major with. The options are Industrial Management, Electrical Engineering, and Manufactoring Technology degrees.

Now, I've read many threads here and on the webs, and what I've learned is that the difference (for example) between EE and EET is "thinking" and "doing." Something that has stuck out in my mind was a quote which roughly went "Do you want to reinvent the wheel or put it on a car and drive it?"

I know there might be some suggestions leaning towards a business degree, but I'll stop you short by informing you that I'd never finish that degree due to my inability to pay any attention in business classes. Furthermore, my general concept was base under another notion I've acquired via my reading that Tech degrees can actually provide quicker employment out of school than Engineering degrees (even if they are lower in pay.)

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

What exactly is the problem? You want to finish your ME degree, but instead are considering an ME/EE/Manufacturing Technology degree as an alternative?

I suppose it all depends on what's important to you. A Technology degree, depending on where you get it from, can be anything from a glorified workshop certificate to basically a BS in the associated engineering degree. Unfortunately it's almost never given the same "weight" as the pure engineering degree when looking for a job, potentially costing you tens of thousands of dollars in salary over your career.

On the other hand, if you're satisfied with doing the nitty-gritty of the field (machining, soldering, etc.) and making a slow move into the management arena, a technology degree might suit you very well.

I would get the pure ME degree, especially since you seem to be almost done with it (?).

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Like normally i can actually read people's "english" very well but this is atrocious. Not to be mean or anything but can you clearly state what you're trying to say? I also read your post as "i've been given tenure in the mechanical engineering department." Which can't be true because you later state you are still doing undergraduate.

1. What is ME+?

ME+ is a program designed for individuals who have completed a technical degree in engineering, specifically in electrical engineering (EE), electrical engineering technology (EET), or industrial manufacturing technology (IMT). It is an advanced program that focuses on hands-on learning and real-world application of engineering principles.

2. What are the main differences between EE, EET, and IMT?

EE is a broad field that involves the study of electrical systems and their components. EET is more focused on the practical application of electrical engineering principles in various industries. IMT, on the other hand, combines engineering principles with business management and quality control in a manufacturing setting.

3. Which degree should I choose for ME+?

The degree you choose for ME+ will depend on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in a career in research and development, EE might be a better fit. EET is more suitable for those interested in hands-on technical work, while IMT is ideal for individuals interested in the business side of engineering in a manufacturing setting.

4. What are the benefits of enrolling in ME+?

ME+ offers a unique and comprehensive learning experience that combines classroom instruction with hands-on projects and real-world application. It also provides opportunities for networking, internships, and job placement. Additionally, completing ME+ can make you a more competitive candidate for advanced engineering positions.

5. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in ME+?

Yes, there are prerequisites for enrolling in ME+. You must have a technical degree in EE, EET, or IMT from an accredited institution. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA and relevant work experience. It is best to check with the specific program you are interested in for their specific requirements.