Emitter follower question (transistors)

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an emitter-follower circuit with a transistor with β = 100 and R_E = 1000 Ω. The input impedance with unloaded output is R_E multiplied by 100. When connected to a source with output impedance 500 Ω, the input impedance is 500+R_E*100 and the output impedance is (500+R_E*100)/100. When the source is removed and a load of 100 Ω is at the output, the input impedance is 100 times the total output impedance of R_E, which is 1000 Ω. The conversation ends with the participant seeking confirmation on their understanding and referencing a Wikipedia summary on common collector circuits.
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

3. An emitter-follower is built using a transistor with β = 100 and R_E =
1000 Ω . (a) Whatʼs the input impedance with unloaded output? Now
suppose the input is connected to a source having output impedance
500 Ω . Whatʼs the output impedance of the circuit? (c) Remove the
source. Now, if a load 100 Ω is at the output, whatʼs the input
impedance?

Here, R_E/I_E refers to the output part of the transistor, and R_B/I_E refers to the input part.

(a)
β = I_C/I_B, so I_C = 100I_B.

So with unloaded output, should the input impedance be R_E*100?

(b)
If input is connected to a source with output impedance 500Ω, does that imply that the input impedance is 500+R_E*100? And that the output impedance is, thus, (500+R_E*100)/100?

(c)
100Ω output, so does that imply that the input impedance is 100(1000||100)? I believe that 1000||100 should be the total output impedance of R_E (since the load means that they're in parallel), and the input impedance is 100 times that, right?

Have I done things correctly? Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_collector" has a nice summary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've already read it. I'm just not sure if I'm missing anything here.

1. What is an emitter follower and how does it work?

An emitter follower is a type of transistor circuit that uses a voltage follower configuration. It consists of a transistor with its base connected to the input signal, its collector connected to the output load, and its emitter connected to the ground. This configuration allows the output voltage to closely follow the input voltage, resulting in a very low output impedance.

2. What are the advantages of using an emitter follower circuit?

The main advantage of an emitter follower circuit is its ability to provide a high current gain while maintaining a low output impedance. This makes it useful for applications where a large amount of current is required, such as in power amplifiers. It also has a high input impedance, which makes it useful for buffering signals without loading the previous stage.

3. What are the limitations of an emitter follower circuit?

One limitation of an emitter follower circuit is its low voltage gain. Since the output voltage closely follows the input voltage, the voltage gain is almost equal to 1. Another limitation is its non-linear response, as the output voltage will vary slightly with changes in the input voltage. It also has a limited bandwidth, making it unsuitable for high-frequency applications.

4. How is the input and output impedance of an emitter follower circuit determined?

The input impedance of an emitter follower circuit is equal to the input impedance of the transistor, which is typically high. The output impedance, on the other hand, is equal to the internal resistance of the transistor, which is usually low. It can be further reduced by adding a resistor in parallel with the emitter resistor.

5. What are some common applications of an emitter follower circuit?

Emitter follower circuits are commonly used in audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, and buffer circuits. They are also used to isolate stages in electronic circuits, as they have a high input impedance and a low output impedance. Additionally, they are used in power supplies to provide a stable output voltage by regulating the current flow.