2nd order differential equation question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a second order differential equation and finding the particular solution. The problem involves y''-3y'=4 and the attempted solution involves finding the complementary solution and modifying the trial solution to make it linearly independent of the complementary solutions. The final solution is y= c_1 + c_{2}e^{3x} -\frac{4}{3}x.
NEGATIVE_40

Homework Statement

[tex] y''-3y'=4 [/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been looking at this problem for the last hour and have absolutely no idea on how to solve it.

My initial approach is this:
[tex] y''-3y'=4 [/tex]
therefore [tex] r^2-3r=0 [/tex] so [tex] r =0,~3[/tex]
giving a complementary solution of [tex]y_{c} = c_{1} +c_{2}e^{3x} [/tex]

Now this is the part where I think I might be making a mistake
[tex] y_{p} = 4A [/tex] (so I get any multiple of 4)
[tex] y_{p}' = 4 [/tex]
[tex] y_{p}'' = 0 [/tex]

So the particular solution is therefore [tex] 0 - 3 \cdot 4 = 4 [/tex] giving [tex] -12 = 4 [/tex]

I can't think of another way to this, so any help would be appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that your particular solution is a multiple of one of your complementary solutions, namely the r=0 solution. You need to modify your trial solution to make it linearly independent of the other solutions.

so ... my first particular solution would be [tex] y_p = Ax [/tex] ?
If I do this I get [tex] y_p = - \frac{4}{3}x [/tex]

so finally I end up with [tex] y= c_1 + c_{2}e^{3x} -\frac{4}{3}x [/tex]
which is the correct answer.

I think I understand what you said about the particular solution being a multiple of the complementary solution, but just to clarify.

Is this what you mean: I got [tex] c_1 [/tex] being a part of the complementary solution (the r=0 part) , and you could mulitply this by some number to get A?

Last edited:
I think you got it, but just to be clear, let me reword it:

You have two complementary solutions, y1=e0x[/sub]=1 and y2=e3x. If you tried to use yp=A, it wouldn't be linearly independent of the complementary solutions because yp=Ay1.

that all makes sense. thanks for the help vela.

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is used to model relationships between variables that are changing over time or space.

2. What is the difference between a 1st order and 2nd order differential equation?

The main difference between a 1st order and 2nd order differential equation is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A 1st order differential equation has only one derivative, while a 2nd order differential equation has two derivatives.

3. How are 2nd order differential equations used in science?

2nd order differential equations are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. They are particularly useful in predicting the behavior of systems over time.

4. What are the different methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The choice of method depends on the specific form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

5. Can a 2nd order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 2nd order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation involves two independent variables, and there can be different combinations of these variables that satisfy the equation. However, the specific solution that is most applicable to a given problem is usually determined by the initial conditions.