Angular Momentum and Coefficient of Restitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of a ball on a spinning rod and the use of coefficient of restitution and conservation of momentum equations to find the final velocity of the ball. The issue is identified as a wrong sign in the coefficient of restitution equation, and it is clarified that the rod is fixed at the center.
DeadEyeWilly
Here is my problem.

A rod spinning about it's cg of angular speed omega. So there is no linear momentum, I believe that's correct. Just angular momentum. A ball, v_i = 0, impact the rod at radius, r. The coefficient of restitution is e. How do I use this to find the final velocity of the ball? I tried saying

e = (v_f-r*omega_f)/(vi-r*omega_i)

and conservation of momentum:

Irod*omega_i = Irod*omega_f + m_ball * v_f * r

but I don't think the coeff. of restitution equation is correct. I don't think you can say the tip speed slows by this much. Perhaps in a golf swing analysis where you have a large mass at radius r moving basically linearly you can say this but not with a spinning rod.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't say if the rod is fixed at the CG, but that's what you assumed in your equations.

Either you have some signs wrong in your coeff of restitution equation, or you are taking e to be negative. Is that the problem?

e = relative speed of separation / relative speed of approach.

where all three terms are positive quantities.

If the mass of the ball is very small, then omega will be almost unchanged and the speed of the ball will be about 2 r omega.

If the mass of the ball is very large, then omega_f = -e omega_i approximately, and the velocity of the ball is almost zero.

Yep. That was it; wrong sign in the coefficient of restitution equations (and no I was not assuming a negative coefficient of restitution)

And just to clarify, yes the rod is pinned in the center.

Thank you so much for your help and time.

Lee

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to coefficient of restitution?

Angular momentum is conserved in a system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. The coefficient of restitution, on the other hand, describes the ratio of an object's final velocity to its initial velocity after a collision. In a collision where no external torque is present, the angular momentum before the collision must equal the angular momentum after the collision. This relationship is known as the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of a collision?

The coefficient of restitution determines how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means that more kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in a more elastic collision. A lower coefficient of restitution means that less kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in a more inelastic collision.

5. How do angular momentum and coefficient of restitution relate to the conservation of energy?

Both angular momentum and coefficient of restitution are important factors in the conservation of energy. In a closed system, the total amount of energy (kinetic and potential) is conserved. This means that any changes in an object's angular momentum or coefficient of restitution must be balanced by changes in the object's kinetic or potential energy, respectively.