Lost City of Atlantis, may be found

• Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: The team is claiming to have found the lost city of Atlantis, which may have been destroyed by a tsunami thousands of years ago. They are presenting their findings on Sunday in a new National Geographic Channel special.
jreelawg
"Lost City of Atlantis, ... may be found"

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) – A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.
The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.
Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_tsunami_atlantis

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Again?

What makes this in any way 'Atlantis' as opposed to just any given sunken city?

nismaratwork said:
Again?

What makes this in any way 'Atlantis' as opposed to just any given sunken city?

They claim to think it might be Atlantis because of the location. Also they claim to think the city they found had been destroyed by an exceptionally large tsunami.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland.."

Because the disaster that took place seams to be so great, you might expect to have some kind or record of the event passed down. I find it encouraging that this may have been a very old city, based on the apparent lack of knowledge about it's existence or destruction. Maybe the legend of Atlantis was based on this? Maybe not.

It is interesting news that a lost city has been found (if it's true) Atlantis or not. I also imagine that they might garnish more interest/funding by dropping the Atlantis card.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special.

Without more details it's hard to really tell if this is just a hyped up pre show ad or not. I guess the show airs tonight?

Last edited by a moderator:

A couple of pictures would be nice :(

I think the Minoans are a better source for Atlantis myths, rich somewhat technologically advanced trade nation. Their civilisation was almost completely destroyed by a Tsunami and it happens to be in what is modern day Greece too. There is evidence that Greece has been inundated across its wide breadth several times in the ancient period too, the largest tsunami is estimated to have been over 120ft tall, that's a big wave. Not really hard to see how such myths came about. Probably as likely as the Minotaur of Minoa is or the Amazons of Northern Greece, although that has some basis in truth, for some reason that myth appeals to me too. Probably as I read Odysseus and well you know what I mean. :tongue:

Calrid said:
I think the Minoans are a better source for Atlantis myths, rich somewhat technologically advanced trade nation. Their civilisation was almost completely destroyed by a Tsunami and it happens to be in what is modern day Greece too. There is evidence that Greece has been inundated across its wide breadth several times in the ancient period too, the largest tsunami is estimated to have been over 120ft tall, that's a big wave. Not really hard to see how such myths came about. Probably as likely as the Minotaur of Minoa is or the Amazons of Northern Greece, although that has some basis in truth, for some reason that myth appeals to me too. Probably as I read Odysseus and well you know what I mean. :tongue:

Hmmmm... that's not a bad notion, or rather, as one of the sources for the myths. I have to say, if I saw a 120' wave in my lifetime and lived, that would be my go-to story for the rest of my life. With that being reinforced to one degree or another every few generations around the world (floods, waves, sinkings) it must have been a POWERFUL legend.

Even quakes wouldn't have had the same effect... a flood can kill a civiliation in a way that few can, directly, then through destruction of crops and inundation of groundwater. Even a society that isn't tightly packed wouldn't be immune, in a way that a tornado or earthquake wouldn't have, and for which cyclones and hurricanes would be too common.

I don't mean to disappoint, but if Atlantis is out there its probably cloaked. :rofl:

FtlIsAwesome said:
I don't mean to disappoint, but if Atlantis is out there its probably cloaked. :rofl:

Heh, and in the Pegasus galaxy? :wink:

(and yes, I know, but I'm not spoiling the end of the series in case someone hasn't seen it)

nismaratwork said:
Heh, and in the Pegasus galaxy? :wink:
Last I checked, it was at a place near you... wait, I think it's implied that they went back.

nismaratwork said:
Hmmmm... that's not a bad notion, or rather, as one of the sources for the myths. I have to say, if I saw a 120' wave in my lifetime and lived, that would be my go-to story for the rest of my life. With that being reinforced to one degree or another every few generations around the world (floods, waves, sinkings) it must have been a POWERFUL legend.

Even quakes wouldn't have had the same effect... a flood can kill a civiliation in a way that few can, directly, then through destruction of crops and inundation of groundwater. Even a society that isn't tightly packed wouldn't be immune, in a way that a tornado or earthquake wouldn't have, and for which cyclones and hurricanes would be too common.

The whole area is extremely geologically unstable, some areas are literally sinking back into the Earth its an Earthquake prone subduction region.

It's no more of a leap saying that than it saying that Babylonian inundation myths in a flood prone area (Tigris Euphrates fertile crescent) lead to the story being re-interpreted as a flood myth that was global in an ex Babylonian set of people. The story is pretty much identical anyway with only the names of the gods changing and some small details like what animal brought sign the flood was abating.

Most myths have a source that is founded in some truth.

There was a group of female mercenary units in the countries North of Greece for example, to use a previous example.

Calrid said:
The whole area is extremely geologically unstable, some areas are literally sinking back into the Earth its an Earthquake prone subduction region.

It's no more of a leap saying that than it saying that Babylonian inundation myths in a flood prone area (Tigris Euphrates fertile crescent) lead to the story being re-interpreted as a flood myth that was global in an ex Babylonian set of people. The story is pretty much identical anyway with only the names of the gods changing and some small details like what animal brought sign the flood was abating.

Most myths have a source that is founded in some truth.

There was a group of female mercenary units in the countries North of Greece for example, to use a previous example.

No arguments here, although not all myths have a kernel of truth, many are as you say inspired by repeated events. I'm sure that tales of "exploding mountains" were considered largely fanciful until people lived through a major stratovolcanic eruption...

1. What is the Lost City of Atlantis?

The Lost City of Atlantis is a mythical island that was first mentioned by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato. According to his writings, Atlantis was an advanced civilization that was destroyed by natural disasters.

2. Is there any evidence that the Lost City of Atlantis actually existed?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of the Lost City of Atlantis. Many theories have been proposed, but none have been proven.

3. Where is the Lost City of Atlantis believed to be located?

According to Plato's writings, Atlantis was located in the Atlantic Ocean beyond the Pillars of Hercules (now known as the Strait of Gibraltar). However, there have been many theories and speculations about its possible location, including the Mediterranean Sea, Caribbean Sea, and even Antarctica.

4. How was the Lost City of Atlantis destroyed?

According to Plato, the Lost City of Atlantis was destroyed by natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods. Some theories suggest that it was destroyed by a volcanic eruption or a tsunami.

5. Has anyone ever found the Lost City of Atlantis?

No, the Lost City of Atlantis has never been found. Many expeditions have been conducted to search for it, but none have been successful. It remains a mystery and a topic of fascination for many people.