Mars balloon , forces, pressure

In summary: ThanksBut i still don't get how did u end up with 7,3 m/s ?When at terminal velocity the forces are in balance Bouancy = weight + dragPut in the formula you have and then rearrange for v. Then show an attempted solution.At terminal velocity the drag force is equal to the weight of the balloon plus the atmospheric drag force. In this case, the atmospheric drag force is 7.3m/s^2.
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

We have a balloon that is need to stay buoyant in Mars atmosphere, to make it hover.
Density given for Mars's atmosphere is 0,0154 kg/m^3. Let's assume that we have to make balloons out of thin firm plastic, with surface density of 5 g/m^2. Balloons would be inflated with a very light gas that we can neglect.

What radius(spherical balloon) would balloon have to have, to make it hover above Mars surface.

When we would put the same balloon in Earths atmosphere, with air density of 1,2 kg/m^3, what would happen? Would the balloon go up or down? Find starting acceleration.

Homework Equations

G=mg
F=rho*g*v (Buoyant force)
V=4/3*r^3* pi
A=4pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part. U equalize mg and rho*g*v. g of Mars cancels. Mass u get from surface density * surface it self. etc etc.

u get effective radius of: r = 0,974 m.

BUT second part is a bit tricky.

we have Newtons first law, ma= rho(air)*g*V - mg.

m we calculated before, and we get that ma=44,97 N

m was 0,059 kg. And from these statements we get that

a=762,34 m/s^2 which is physical absurd imho.

Help? Does now air inside balloon matter or?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can find no fault in your calculation. Of course the moment it started to move, air-resistance would come into effect and the balloon would very quickly reach terminal velocity.

Very non intuitive! That is my problem. I almost get the speed of sound in a second an a half. But i think real-case scenario is much more complicated.

Thanks

Bassalisk said:
Very non intuitive! That is my problem. I almost get the speed of sound in a second an a half. But i think real-case scenario is much more complicated.

Thanks

But it will not accelerate at this rate for any appreciable length of time. When it starts to move you have to consider air resistance.

Using the drag equation the terminal velocity of your balloon is 7.3m/s, so it will not get any faster than this.

Mr.A.Gibson said:
But it will not accelerate at this rate for any appreciable length of time. When it starts to move you have to consider air resistance.

Using the drag equation the terminal velocity of your balloon is 7.3m/s, so it will not get any faster than this.

Can you explain this equation? I found it on wiki, but components are not as clear.

Thanks

You calculate the drag force from the eqation, it's components are:
ρ the density of air,
v the velocity of the balloon, when the forces are balanced this is the terminal velocity
A cross-sectional area of the balloon, calculate from the radius
C_d Drag coefficient, this changes for different shapes for a sphere it is 0.47

Mr.A.Gibson said:
You calculate the drag force from the eqation, it's components are:
ρ the density of air,
v the velocity of the balloon, when the forces are balanced this is the terminal velocity
A cross-sectional area of the balloon, calculate from the radius
C_d Drag coefficient, this changes for different shapes for a sphere it is 0.47

K but i still don't get how did u end up with 7,3 m/s ?

When at terminal velocity the forces are in balance Bouancy = weight + drag
Put in the formula you have and then rearrange for v. Then show an attempted solution.

What is a Mars balloon?

A Mars balloon is a type of balloon designed specifically for use on the surface of Mars. It is typically made of lightweight and durable materials that can withstand the harsh conditions on the planet, such as extreme temperatures and low atmospheric pressure.

What forces act on a Mars balloon?

There are several forces that act on a Mars balloon, including gravity, buoyancy, and drag. Gravity is the force that pulls the balloon towards the surface of Mars, while buoyancy is the upward force exerted by the surrounding air. Drag is the resistance force that opposes the motion of the balloon through the air.

How does pressure affect a Mars balloon?

The pressure on Mars is much lower than on Earth, so a Mars balloon must be able to withstand this low pressure in order to stay inflated. In fact, the atmospheric pressure on Mars is less than 1% of that on Earth, which means that the gas inside the balloon must be at a much higher pressure in order to keep the balloon inflated.

What is the purpose of a Mars balloon?

A Mars balloon can serve a variety of purposes, depending on its design and the mission objectives. Some possible uses for a Mars balloon include atmospheric research, exploration, and transportation. They can also be used to carry scientific instruments and cameras to gather data and images of the Martian surface.

How does a Mars balloon stay aloft?

A Mars balloon stays aloft through a combination of factors, including its design, the gas used to fill it, and the surrounding atmospheric conditions. The balloon must be filled with a gas that is less dense than the surrounding air, such as helium, so that it can float upwards. The design of the balloon also plays a role in its ability to stay aloft, as it must be able to withstand the forces acting upon it and maintain its shape and volume.