Non slip ball down an incline of theta

In summary: In this case, the net force is equal to the sum of the forces acting on the sphere, which are gravity and static friction. To find the static friction, you can use the equation Ff <= uN, where u is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to Mgcos(theta). So the equation becomes Ff <= uMgcos(theta). Since the sphere is rolling without slipping, the linear acceleration is equal to the angular acceleration multiplied by the radius. So you can use the equation F = ma to solve for the angle. In summary, to find the angle of the incline, you need to use the equations F = ma, T = I(alpha),
mikegovikes
non slip ball down an incline of theta!

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere rolls down an incline without slipping. If the linear acceleration of the center of mass of the sphere is 0.16g, then what is the angle the incline makes with the horizontal?

Homework Equations

F=ma T=I(alpha) I=(2/5)MR^2 a=r(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you have to use the first two equations. I made a free body diagram of the bowling ball, but i am confused about the first equation F=ma. is F the force of kinetic friction? how am i supposed to solve for the kinetic friction? is it equal to Mgsin theta where M is the mass of the bowling ball? then there would not be acceleration. I am confused

Physics news on Phys.org

When a body rolls the point where it touches the ground is in rest with respect to the ground. It is static friction you need to use, and it acts at the rim of the sphere. But gravity acts too, at the centre of the sphere and its magnitude is Mg sin(theta).
So you have two forces, but there is also their torque.

ehild

hello,

Look at the torques about the point where the sphere makes contact with the incline. in that case you have the wrong moment of inertia; you need to use the parallel axis theorem (you should get I = (7/5)MR^2). everything works out for me this way.

cheers

oh, also, it is static friction, not kinetic friction, when there is rolling without slipping.

For F = ma, you need to use the Net force.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the given information and identifying the unknowns. The given information states that a solid sphere is rolling down an incline without slipping and has a linear acceleration of 0.16g. The unknown in this problem is the angle of the incline, theta.

Next, I would use the equations provided to analyze the forces and motion of the sphere. The first equation, F=ma, represents Newton's Second Law and states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the net force on the sphere is due to the force of gravity, which is equal to the mass of the sphere times the acceleration due to gravity, g, and the force of kinetic friction, which is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction times the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the sphere, which is mg, multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the incline.

The second equation, T=I(alpha), represents the relationship between torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration. In this case, the torque on the sphere is due to the force of kinetic friction, which is acting at a distance of the radius of the sphere from its axis of rotation. The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is equal to (2/5)MR^2, where M is the mass of the sphere and R is the radius.

Using these equations and setting the net force equal to the torque, we can solve for the angle of the incline. This will involve some algebraic manipulation and substitution of known values. Once we have solved for theta, we can verify our solution by plugging it back into the equations and ensuring that the given linear acceleration is consistent with the calculated values.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by carefully analyzing the given information, using relevant equations to model the forces and motion of the sphere, and solving for the unknown angle of the incline.

1. How does the angle of incline affect the non-slip ball's speed?

The angle of incline has a direct impact on the non-slip ball's speed. The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will roll down. This is due to the increased force of gravity pulling the ball down the slope.

2. Does the weight of the ball affect its motion on an incline?

Yes, the weight of the ball does affect its motion on an incline. Heavier balls will have more mass and therefore more gravitational force acting on them, causing them to roll faster down the incline. However, the angle of incline will still have a greater influence on the ball's speed.

3. What factors contribute to the non-slip ball's ability to maintain its grip on an incline?

The main factors that contribute to the non-slip ball's ability to maintain its grip on an incline are the surface material of the ball and the surface material of the incline. A ball with a rough surface and an incline with a rough surface will have a better grip compared to a ball with a smooth surface and an incline with a smooth surface.

4. Can the non-slip ball roll upwards on an incline?

No, the non-slip ball cannot roll upwards on an incline. This is due to the force of gravity always pulling the ball downwards. Even if the ball has a good grip on the incline, it will eventually roll back down due to the force of gravity.

5. How does the presence of friction affect the non-slip ball's motion on an incline?

The presence of friction can slow down the non-slip ball's motion on an incline. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion and can decrease its speed. However, if the ball has a strong enough grip on the incline, the effects of friction may be minimal.