Hypothesis Testing for Normal Mean μ w/σ=1

In summary, hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1 involves testing a statement or claim about the population mean μ using data from a sample, when the population standard deviation is known to be 1. It differs from other types of hypothesis testing as it specifically deals with a normal distribution with a known standard deviation. The purpose of this type of hypothesis testing is to determine whether there is enough evidence to support a hypothesis about the population mean μ. The steps involved include stating the null and alternative hypotheses, choosing a significance level, collecting data, calculating the test statistic, and comparing it to a critical value. Common misconceptions include assuming that a significant result means the alternative hypothesis is true, that a non-significant result means the null hypothesis is
lildrea88
Suppose X is normal mean [tex]\mu[/tex] unknown and standard deviation σ = 1.
(a) You are to show that the uniformly most powerful test for testing test of size α
based on a sample of size n for testing H0 :[tex]\mu[/tex]  ≤ [tex]\mu[/tex]0 verses H1[tex]\mu[/tex] :  ≥ [tex]\mu[/tex]0
is of the form R = {[tex]\Sigma[/tex]xj ≥ c}
where c = z[tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] + n[tex]\mu[/tex]0

really not sure where to start..i currrently have no examples to work off and my textbook doesn't help..i do know that i am suppose to use neyman pearson, but i just don't know where to apply it
help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: The uniformly most powerful test for testing the hypothesis H0 : \mu ≤ \mu0 versus H1 : \mu ≥ \mu0, based on a sample of size n from a normal distribution with mean \mu and standard deviation σ = 1, is given by R = \{\Sigma x_j ≥ c\}, where c = z\sqrt{n} + n\mu_0. This follows from the Neyman-Pearson Lemma, which states that the most powerful test for two simple hypotheses is a likelihood ratio test. In this case, the likelihood ratio test is given by \frac{L(H_1)}{L(H_0)}=\frac{f(x|H_1)}{f(x|H_0)}=\frac{f(\bar{x}|\mu \ge \mu_0)}{f(\bar{x}|\mu \le \mu_0)}=\frac{\prod_{i=1}^nf(x_i|\mu \ge \mu_0)}{\prod_{i=1}^nf(x_i|\mu \le \mu_0)}=\frac{\prod_{i=1}^ne^{-(x_i-\mu_0)^2/2}}{\prod_{i=1}^ne^{-(x_i-\mu)^2/2}}=e^{\Sigma (x_i-\mu_0)^2/2 - \Sigma (x_i-\mu)^2/2}. The test statistic is then given by R = \{\Sigma x_j ≥ c\}, where c = z\sqrt{n} + n\mu_0. This is the uniformly most powerful test for testing the hypothesis H0 : \mu ≤ \mu0 versus H1 : \mu ≥ \mu0.

1. What is a hypothesis in hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1?

A hypothesis is a statement or claim about a population parameter, such as the mean, that is being tested using data from a sample. In this case, the hypothesis for normal mean μ with σ=1 would be a statement about the population mean μ when the population standard deviation is known to be 1.

2. How is hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1 different from other types of hypothesis testing?

Hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1 is different from other types of hypothesis testing because it specifically deals with a normal distribution with a known standard deviation of 1. This allows for a more precise assessment of the population mean μ.

3. What is the purpose of hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1?

The purpose of hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1 is to determine whether there is enough evidence to support a hypothesis about the population mean μ, based on data from a sample. This can help researchers make informed decisions and draw conclusions about the population.

4. What are the steps involved in hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1?

The steps involved in hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1 are:

1. State the null hypothesis (H0) and alternative hypothesis (Ha)
  2. Choose a significance level (α)
  3. Collect data from a sample and calculate the sample mean (x̄)
  4. Calculate the test statistic (z-score) using the formula z = (x̄ - μ) / (σ/√n)
  5. Compare the test statistic to the critical value from the z-table
  6. If the test statistic is greater than the critical value, reject the null hypothesis. If it is less than the critical value, fail to reject the null hypothesis.

5. What are some common misconceptions about hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1?

Some common misconceptions about hypothesis testing for normal mean μ with σ=1 include:

• Assuming that a significant result means the alternative hypothesis is true, when in reality it only suggests that there is enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis.
  • Assuming that a non-significant result means the null hypothesis is true, when it only suggests that there is not enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis.
  • Assuming that a hypothesis test can prove a hypothesis to be true or false, when in reality it can only provide evidence for or against a hypothesis.