Power series solution to a differential equation

In summary, when using a power series solution to solve the equation (x^2-1)y" + 8xy' + 12y = 0, you can choose any ordinary point for x0. In this case, x0 = 0 is a good choice. This allows you to plug in a nice power series for y(x). An ordinary point is any point at which the coefficient of y" is not equal to 0. The singular points for this equation are -1 and 1.
swtlilsoni

Homework Statement

Using a power series solution, what is the solution to:
(x^2-1)y" + 8xy' + 12y = 0

Homework Equations

Normally these questions specify (about x0=0) but this one doesn't specify about which point. So if I use the power series equation, what am I supposed to plug in for x0?

Physics news on Phys.org
For your x_0, I assume you are talking about an ordinary point about which to expand your series? If so, in this case you can just choose one. I think you will find that x_0 = 0 works. Then just plug in a nice power series. You know the requirements for an ordinary point if you are not given one?

Last edited:
Right given an equation p(x)y" + q(x)y' + r(x)y=0,
an ordinary point is any point at which p(x0) does not equal 0.

Thus in this equation, the singular points are -1, and 1.
Does that mean I can choose any number that works as an ordinary point and plug it in for x0? I can choose 9? And plug that in as:
y(x)=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]an(x-9)n ?

swtlilsoni said:
Right given an equation p(x)y" + q(x)y' + r(x)y=0,
an ordinary point is any point at which p(x0) does not equal 0.

Thus in this equation, the singular points are -1, and 1.
Does that mean I can choose any number that works as an ordinary point and plug it in for x0? I can choose 9? And plug that in as:
y(x)=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]an(x-9)n ?

Yes, you can chose 9. But why? You have x's in the equation. It's going to be a bit easier just to choose x0=0.

Okay thank you. I did not know I had the freedom to choose any point. I thought the answer varied depending on the chosen point so I thought it needed to be specified.

What is a power series solution to a differential equation?

A power series solution to a differential equation is a method for solving a differential equation by representing the unknown function as a series of powers of the independent variable. This method is useful for solving linear equations with variable coefficients.

How does a power series solution differ from other methods of solving differential equations?

Unlike other methods such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients, a power series solution does not require the equation to be in a specific form. It can be used to solve a wider range of differential equations.

What are the advantages of using a power series solution?

A power series solution allows for the calculation of approximate solutions to differential equations, making it useful for solving equations that cannot be solved exactly. It also provides a systematic approach to solving equations with variable coefficients.

Are there limitations to using a power series solution?

Yes, a power series solution is only applicable to linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It may also be difficult to determine the radius of convergence of the series, which can affect the accuracy of the solution.

What are some real-life applications of using a power series solution to a differential equation?

Power series solutions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model physical systems and predict their behavior. They are also used in economics and finance to model growth and decay processes.