Can Atmospheric Pressure be Accurately Modeled at 300km Altitude?

In summary, atmospheric pressures decrease rapidly with altitude. You would need to model the pressure at an altitude up to 300 km using an equation similar to p-p1 = rho*v^2*sin^2theta.
s4177112
hi I'm new here and i need some help regarding atmospheric pressures.
i have a way of calculating it up until about 50 km above sea level.
is there a way to accurately model the pressure at an altitude up to 300km?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi there, I hope I can be of assistance. i don't know how to model the pressure at an altitude up to 300 km. But remember that the pressure declines quite rapidly, I don't recall if it was an logarithmic scale proportional to the heigh above sea level, or perhaps an exponential scale, but above the stratosphere there is no weather (in the general terms we are accustomed to) and above the mesosphere you can pretty much say that you are in space, imo. Of course, it depends on how accurate you want the model to be, perhaps that is still of interest to your project.

I hope I helped, at least somewhat :P

thanks for your help.
i'll give you a bit more background to the problem.
i am actually trying to calculate the surface pressure of a vehicle that has been shot up in a rocket and detaches. it reaches a height of 300km and begins its descent. i have already modeled its velocity with python and wanted to do the same for the surface pressure for the entire trajectory.
i'm using the equation:

p-p1 = rho*v^2*sin^2theta

where p1 is the upstream pressure.
i have said that p1 is:

p1 = p0(1-(L*h/T0))^(g*M/R*L)
this only holds true up until 50 km.

all of this has been simplified down especially the fluid dynamics as the 'real' equations are far too complex and i think to solve it properly computation fluid dynamics is needed.

i am not sure what i should assume for altitudes above 50 km? i will also need to do the same with the density.
any ideas?
thanks again

Last edited:
thank you very much.
it is exactly what i needed.

1. What is high altitude pressure?

High altitude pressure refers to the amount of air pressure present at high altitudes, such as in mountains or airplanes.

2. How does high altitude pressure affect the body?

High altitude pressure can affect the body in several ways, including causing altitude sickness, changes in breathing and heart rate, and reduced oxygen levels in the blood.

3. Why does high altitude pressure decrease as altitude increases?

High altitude pressure decreases as altitude increases because the air becomes less dense at higher altitudes, meaning there are fewer air molecules present to exert pressure.

4. How is high altitude pressure measured?

High altitude pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the weight of the air above a certain point. It is often expressed in units of pressure, such as millibars or inches of mercury.

5. What are the potential dangers of high altitude pressure?

High altitude pressure can be dangerous for individuals who are not acclimatized to high altitudes. It can lead to altitude sickness, which can cause symptoms such as headache, nausea, and dizziness. In extreme cases, it can also lead to more serious conditions such as high altitude pulmonary edema or high altitude cerebral edema.