On why massless particles move at the speed of light

In summary, the author derives that for any particle with E0>0, the following is true:(1-v^2/c^2) = 1-KE / (KE+E0)
PAllen
Science Advisor
On "why massless particles move at the speed of light"

It has come up a few times whether you can derive that massless particles must go the speed of light, strictly using SR. Bcrowell proposed a way that some argued against. I have a different tack for consideration.

I recently derived that, for any particle with E0 (rest energy) > 0, the following is true:

(1 - v^2/c^2) = 1 - KE / (KE + E0)

From this you can say:

1) limit as E0 -> 0 leads to v=c
2) If there is to be such a thing as a particle with E0=0 and nonzero KE, and if it should be consistent with the SR, then this relation directly requires that v=c.

Physics news on Phys.org

PAllen said:
It has come up a few times whether you can derive that massless particles must go the speed of light, strictly using SR. Bcrowell proposed a way that some argued against. I have a different tack for consideration.

I recently derived that, for any particle with E0 (rest energy) > 0, the following is true:

(1 - v^2/c^2) = 1 - KE / (KE + E0)

From this you can say:

1) limit as E0 -> 0 leads to v=c
2) If there is to be such a thing as a particle with E0=0 and nonzero KE, and if it should be consistent with the SR, then this relation directly requires that v=c.

That should be:

sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2) = 1 - KE / (KE + E0)

The rest mass of a particle is defined to be the norm of its momentum 4-vector. There are only two kinds of vectors that have zero norm: null vectors and the zero vector. So a particle which is massless either travels at the speed of light or carries no energy and momentum at all.

Bill_K said:
The rest mass of a particle is defined to be the norm of its momentum 4-vector. [...]

How would you unambiguously define the <momentum 4-vector> ?

It doesn't have to be unambiguous! The momentum vector for a particle is P = (α, αv) for some α, I don't care what. But so long as the norm is zero, P·P = 0, then v = c for any α, which is all we wanted to show. You guys are making this way too hard.

dextercioby said:

Let's start with one spatial dimension. Then

given the Lagrangian L(x, v) where v = dx/dt

define

[tex]
p = \frac{\partial L}{\partial v}
[/tex]

This serves as an adequate definition of momentum.

A Lagrangian is defined as "good" if the equations of motion

[tex]
\frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x}
[/tex]

are correct, i.e. match observation. And E would be given by

E = p*v - L (more generally the sum over i of p_i *v_i - L when you have more than one dimension)

The point I was trying to make is that postulating the existence of rest/invariant mass, assuming it nonzero and the form of the Lagrangian of a free particle of rest mass m_0 leads to P^2 = m^2. Point: P^2 = m^2 is a consequence, not an assumption/definition/axiom.

Assume it in reverse, then what are the Lagrangian & Hamiltonian formulations of the theory with P^2 =0, thus with invariant mass = 0 ?

Bill_K said:
The rest mass of a particle is defined to be the norm of its momentum 4-vector. There are only two kinds of vectors that have zero norm: null vectors and the zero vector. So a particle which is massless either travels at the speed of light or carries no energy and momentum at all.

The aim is was to justify this with the fewest assumptions and without apparent division by zero that could be criticized by a skeptical newbie. Playing skeptical newbie, all you've got from this is:

E^2=P^2 c^2

So now newbie asks, isn't P = m gamma v = 0 if m=0? Contradiction (since E assumed nonzero)?
So now the problem has been transposed to showing why P=E/c implies speed is c.

[Edit: Of course, one way to do this is to write the general:

P = Ev/c^2 ; then the requirement that P = E/c implies v=c. But with this addition I don't see much superiority to this approach. ]

Last edited:

1. Why do massless particles move at the speed of light?

Massless particles, such as photons, have no rest mass and therefore do not experience the effects of inertia. This allows them to travel at the maximum speed possible, which is the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. How are massless particles able to reach the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is the same for all observers. Massless particles, being devoid of mass, are able to travel at this constant speed without any resistance or limitations.

3. Can massless particles ever slow down or stop?

No, massless particles are always moving at the speed of light and cannot slow down or stop. This is due to the fact that they have no mass and therefore do not experience the forces that can cause deceleration.

4. How is the speed of light related to massless particles?

The speed of light is the maximum speed that any particle can travel in the universe. Massless particles, having no mass, are able to reach this maximum speed without any limitations.

5. Are there any exceptions to massless particles moving at the speed of light?

So far, there have been no known exceptions to massless particles moving at the speed of light. However, some theories suggest that certain particles, such as tachyons, may be able to travel faster than light. However, these particles are purely hypothetical and have not been observed or proven to exist.