Radioactive decay and half life?

In summary: However, when using the formula N= No((1/2)^t/t(1/2)), the predicted values do not match the actual values for some points as the time increases. I am unsure of the source of this error. In summary, the half life matches the activity well for some points but not for others, and the source of error is unknown.
kraphysics

Homework Statement

I have some data for "Activity(Bq * 10^4)" and "time". I have already found the half life and everything but I can't seem to see any sources of error in the data

Homework Equations

I need sources of error.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said, the half life matches the activity well but then as the time increases, the predictions using the formula N= No((1/2)^t/t(1/2)) and half life are true for some points but later it gets slightly off. I don't know why this happens..

Physics news on Phys.org
kraphysics said:

Homework Statement

I have some data for "Activity(Bq * 10^4)" and "time".
How can you expect anyone to understand what you mean by that?

I have already found the half life and everything but I can't seem to see any sources of error in the data

Homework Equations

I need sources of error.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said, the half life matches the activity well but then as the time increases, the predictions using the formula N= No((1/2)^t/t(1/2)) and half life are true for some points but later it gets slightly off. I don't know why this happens..

HallsofIvy said:
How can you expect anyone to understand what you mean by that?

Time (min) Activity (Bq x10^4)
0 8.00
10 5.04
20 3.17
30 2.01
40 1.26
50 0.790
60 0.490
70 0.320
80 0.195
90 0.128

From graphing the data, I have found half life to be 15.0 minutes.

Last edited:

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is a process in which unstable atomic nuclei lose energy and transform into more stable nuclei. This transformation can result in the emission of particles and radiation.

2. What is half life?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample of a radioactive substance to decay. It is a measure of the rate at which a substance decays.

3. How is half life used in radiometric dating?

Radiometric dating uses the principle of half life to determine the age of a substance. By measuring the amount of remaining radioactive material and knowing its half life, scientists can calculate how much time has passed since the material was formed.

4. What factors can affect the half life of a substance?

The half life of a substance can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical environment. Additionally, the type of decay process and the stability of the atomic nucleus can also impact the half life.

5. How is radioactive decay and half life used in medicine?

In medicine, radioactive materials with short half lives are used in imaging techniques such as PET scans to diagnose and monitor diseases. Longer half life substances are used in radiation therapy to treat cancer and other medical conditions.