Chance to help an Electronic Engineer find a weird material for an invention

In summary: The temperature at which the material becomes pliable is considered warm. The temperature at which the material becomes firmer is considered cool.
Golaboots
Hello.

This is my first post here and I come shamelessly looking for help.

I'm an Electronic Engineer and have an idea for an invention but do not know if the type of material that is needed exists, the only one I can think of so far is Bread dough.

Anyway, what is needed is something that is 'sticky' and 'pliable' when warm and wet but is much firmer when cooler or dry.

I'm hopeful that a certain sort of polymer must do this but know nothing about the subject.

Any help gratefully received.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello golaboots, welcome to Physics Forums.

There is no shame in seeking information.

It's very hard to answer your question though with such a broad based specification.

Noticing your food comment I can think of many food preparations that answer the call,

Custard, jelly, porridge come to mind.

More seriously since you are an EE, perhaps you can narrow the spec down a bit?

For instance is electrical conduction an issue?
Why does the material need to be wet? and hot?

Thre are plenty of water based resins sold as wood glues that you mix up and then set hard.
Would any of these do?
Concrete is also such a material.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Conductivity does not matter.

There are lots of materials that 'set' however I require the material to be pliable at a warm temperature, set at a cooler one and then return to a pliable state again once re heated.

This change between two states is what led me to thinking of plastics.

There are lots of materials that 'set' however I require the material to be pliable at a warm temperature, set at a cooler one and then return to a pliable state again once re heated.

Yes plastics answer that requirement well.

The type that soften above a certain temperature and harden below are called thermoplastics. The transition is normally reversible many times.

As a for instance the glue in hot melt glue guns.

This is, of course, contingent on removal of the wetness requirement that you have not answered.

It then becomes a matter of seeking out a plastic with a suitable the transition temperature.

Golaboots said:
... I require the material to be pliable at a warm temperature, set at a cooler one and then return to a pliable state again once re heated. ...
Define "warm" and "cool".

What is the role of an electronic engineer in finding a weird material for an invention?

An electronic engineer is responsible for researching, designing, and developing new electronic products or systems. In the case of finding a weird material for an invention, the engineer would use their knowledge and expertise to identify potential materials that could be used in the invention and conduct experiments to determine their viability.

What is considered a "weird" material for an invention?

A "weird" material typically refers to a material that is not commonly used in electronic engineering or that has unique properties that make it suitable for a specific purpose. This could include materials with high conductivity, flexibility, or durability, or materials that have never been used in electronic devices before.

What factors should be considered when choosing a material for an invention?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a material for an invention include its electrical and mechanical properties, availability and cost, compatibility with other materials, and potential for scalability and mass production. It is also important to consider the specific requirements and goals of the invention to ensure the material is suitable for its intended use.

How can an electronic engineer test the viability of a potential material for an invention?

There are several methods an electronic engineer can use to test the viability of a potential material for an invention. These may include conducting experiments to measure the material's electrical and mechanical properties, modeling and simulation to predict its behavior in different conditions, and conducting real-world testing to evaluate its performance in a practical setting.

What are some resources an electronic engineer can use to find potential materials for an invention?

Electronic engineers can use a variety of resources to find potential materials for an invention. These may include scientific journals and publications, online databases and forums, trade shows and conferences, and collaborations with other engineers and scientists in the field. It is also important for engineers to stay updated on industry developments and new advancements in material science.