Power series solution for differential equation

In summary, the fluxional equation can be rewritten as [b]2 above and replaced x by (x + 1). Then long division is used to find z2 and z3. Finally, z2 and z3 are added together to give y.
Jen_Jer_888

Homework Statement

Solve the fluxional equation (y with a dot on top)/(x with a dot on top) = 2/x + 3 - x^2 by first replacing x by (x + 1) and then using power series techniques.

Homework Equations

dy/dx = 2/x + 3 - x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I believe the fluxional (y with a dot on top)/(x with a dot on top) was just Newton's language and notation for the derivative dy/dx, so I rewrote the equation as 2 above. Then I replaced x by (x + 1) like it says, getting: dy/d(x+1) = 2/(x+1) + 3 - (x+1)^2
From there, I attempted to set it equal to the sigma series for the derivative of a power series, so: 2/(x+1) + 3 - (x+1)^2 = Sigma n*a_sub_n*(x+1)^(n-1) from n=1 to infinity = a_sub_1 + 2*a_sub_2*(x+1)+ 3*a_sub_3*(x+1)^2 + 4*a_sub_4*(x+1)^3 + ...
I don't know where to go from there. I'm not even sure how the substitution helps. Since there is no y or higher order derivative, I see no basis to compare series coefficients.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jen_Jer_888! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

First, write z instead of (x+1), it's much easier!

Second, have you noticed that you can easily factor x3 - 3x - 2 ? :wink:

Thank you for the response! Here is my updated attempt. Can you verify it or explain if I go wrong?
Let z = x+1.
dy/dx = 2/x + 3 - x2 => x(dy/dx) = 2+ 3x - x3 => -x(dy/dx) = x3 - 3x - 2.
This factors giving -x(dy/dx) = (x+1)2(x-2)
So dy/dx = [(x+1)2(x-2)]/(-x).
So dy/dx = [z2(z-3)]/(-(z-1))
Next I did polynomial long division for (z3 - 3z2)/(-z + 1) and I got this: -z2 + 2z + 2 Remainder -2 or -z2 + 2z + 2 + -2/(-z+1)

Then I did long division for the remainder. Flipping the bottom around, I did -2/(1-z) and got this: -2 - 2z - 2z2 - 2z3 - 2z4 + ...

Plugging into the original quotient, I get -3z2 - 2z3 - 2z4 - 2z5 + ...

Next, I lined up coefficients with those of the first derivative of the power series [itex]\sum[/itex] anzn, since we are assuming a power series solution. That gives a1 + 2a2z + 3a3z2 + 4a4z3 + ... = -3z2 - 2z3 - 2z4 - 2z5 + ...

Thus, a1 = 0, a2 = 0, a3 = -1, a4 = -2/4, a5 = -2/5, a6 = -2/6, a7 = -2/7 and so on

Plugging those into the power series for y gives: y = -z3 - (2/4)z4 - (2/5)z5 - (2/6)z6 - (2/7)z7 + ...

Is this an acceptable answer to the original question? Have I gone wrong anywhere?
I really appreciate your help!

After I get y = -z3 - (2/4)z4 - (2/5)z5 - (2/6)z6 - (2/7)z7 + ... do I need to plug (x+1) back in and get y in terms of x?

Can I replace x + 1 with x now and get y = -x3 - (2/4)x4 - (2/5)x5 - (2/6)x6 - (2/7)x7 + ...

If not, expanding each of those with x + 1 still in there would be a huge pain! Or would there be an easy way to do that?

Last edited:
Hi Jen_Jer_888! :smile:

I'm really not sure what they're expecting you to do :confused:
Jen_Jer_888 said:
Solve the fluxional equation (y with a dot on top)/(x with a dot on top) = 2/x + 3 - x^2 by first replacing x by (x + 1) and then using power series techniques.

… the obvious way of solving this is simply to integrate the RHS, which gives you a cubic polynomial in x minus 2ln(x),

and ln(x) = ln(1-z) = -(z + z2/2 + z3/3 + … )

= -((1+x) + (1+x)2/2 + (1+x)3/3 + … ).

Adding that to the polynomial doesn't seem to give the same result as you have, but I can't see the actual mistake. :redface:

(And I've no idea whether they intend you to expand all those brackets … but personally I wouldn't.)​

What is a power series solution for a differential equation?

A power series solution for a differential equation is a method of solving a differential equation by expressing the solution as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of the independent variable. This method is useful for solving differential equations that do not have a closed-form solution.

What is the process for finding a power series solution?

The process for finding a power series solution involves substituting the unknown function into the differential equation and equating coefficients of the same powers of the independent variable. The resulting system of equations can then be solved for the unknown coefficients, giving the power series solution.

When is a power series solution applicable?

A power series solution is applicable when the differential equation is linear and has constant coefficients. This means that the unknown function and all its derivatives appear in the differential equation with a power of 1 and the coefficients are constants.

What are the advantages of using a power series solution?

One advantage of using a power series solution is that it provides an approximate solution to a differential equation that may not have a closed-form solution. Additionally, the method is relatively simple and can be applied to a wide range of differential equations.

What are some limitations of using a power series solution?

One limitation of using a power series solution is that it may only provide an approximate solution, which may not be accurate enough for certain applications. Another limitation is that the method may not work for all types of differential equations, such as those with non-constant coefficients or non-linear terms.