Cos(x) question How would you call 'x'?

• Thread starter mimzy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of integration by substitution and the use of variables, specifically the symbol theta, in trigonometric equations. The speaker is seeking help in finding the appropriate term to refer to the variable used in the expression for a trigonometric function. They also mention the use of variables as arguments in function application expressions.
mimzy
So I have this integration to solve but I needed help and I just couldn't make up a term to call that 'x' ><! the term that is inside the parenthesis! I know I've learned it somewhere but I just can't remember and it's making me nuts! >A<

Also, what would you do in order to solve an equation that involves let's say sin(x)/cos(2x) [its just made up so I can explain myself a little better :D] and you need to combine both terms... but in order to combine them you got to make a substitution for that 'x' term ><

thanks in advance :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Integration by Substitution? Let x = [tex] \theta [/tex]? The symbol [tex] \theta [/tex] is pronounced theta? No idea what you are talking about.

Just so you know, there is no simpler form to:

[tex]
\frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(2 \theta)}
[/tex]

IT DOES NOT EQUAL:
[tex]
tan(\frac{1}{2} \theta)
[/tex]

No idea if this helps, still have no clue what you are asking...

im just wondering for the name of that theta since it won't always be the same thing on all equations... it changes depending on what u are asked for... like x, theta, pi and so on... just he generic name of that >< sorry if I wasn't clear enough

A variable? There's no set word to describe whatever variable you insert inside of a trigonometric function. You just say that it is the parameter in terms of which the function is defined...?

This is a function application expression:
[tex]A(B)[/tex]
It is composed of two subexpressions:
  • The expression [itex]A[/itex], which should be of function type
  • The expression [itex]B[/itex], whose type should be contained in domain of [itex]A[/itex]
In such expressions, [itex]B[/itex] is sometimes called the "argument", such as in the sentence "[itex]B[/itex] is the argument passed into the function [itex]A[/itex]".

Speaking as a programmer, given cos(x), x is the argument or parameter to the function cos(). It can be a literal, such as 20, a variable, or an expression.

Fred

1. What does 'x' represent in the function cos(x)?

'x' represents the input or independent variable in the cosine function. It is the angle, measured in radians, for which we want to find the cosine value.

2. Is 'x' the same as the angle in degrees in cos(x)?

No, 'x' represents the angle in radians while degrees are another unit of measurement for angles. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the radian measure by 180/π.

3. Can 'x' be any number in cos(x)?

Yes, 'x' can be any real number in the cosine function. This means that the cosine value can be calculated for any angle, whether it is positive or negative, whole or decimal.

4. Why is 'x' often used as the variable in trigonometric functions?

'x' is a commonly used variable in mathematics, and it is often used to represent the input or independent variable in functions. In trigonometry, 'x' is used to represent the angle in radians.

5. Does the value of 'x' affect the shape of the graph of cos(x)?

Yes, the value of 'x' affects the shape of the graph of cos(x). As 'x' increases, the value of cos(x) oscillates between -1 and 1, creating the characteristic wave-like shape of the cosine function.