Poisson Distribution/ uniform dist.

In summary, the task is to create a sample of 396 items from a Poisson distribution with N=1000 and 4 items from a uniform distribution between 0 and 105. This represents data from a CCD with 1% bad pixels. The mean and median of the sample should be calculated and included in the homework file. It is unclear which distribution is closer to N.
Puchinita5
I am in an error analysis class and our homework has asked us this (we will be writing a computer program to do this):

"Create a sample with 396 draws from a Poisson distribution with N=1000 and 4 draws from the uniform distribution between 0 and 105. This sample represents data from a CCD with just 1% bad pixels. Calculate the mean and median of the sample and put the result in your homework file in comments. Which is closer to N?"

I don't really understand what this means. Specifically, I don't get what the 4 draws from the uniform distribution between 0 and 105 means. Is the second part something separate? Or am I pulling something from the original poisson distribution? I guess, is this two samples or one? I'm just so confused I don't get it.

Can someone just dumb down what this is asking me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to mean that you sample 396 items from the first (Poisson) distribution and 4 items separately form the second (uniform between 0 and 105, or uniform between 0 and 1 and multiply by 105) distribution. Now mix the samples together to finish the exercise.

What is Poisson Distribution?

Poisson Distribution is a statistical distribution that is used to model the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a specific time period or space, given a known average rate of occurrence. It is typically used for rare events and assumes that the events occur independently of each other.

What are the characteristics of Poisson Distribution?

There are three main characteristics of Poisson Distribution: 1) The events must occur independently of each other, 2) The average rate of occurrence must be constant over time or space, and 3) The probability of an event occurring is the same for all time intervals or space units.

What is the formula for Poisson Distribution?

The formula for Poisson Distribution is P(x; μ) = (e^-μ * μ^x) / x!, where P is the probability of x events occurring, μ is the average rate of occurrence, and x is the number of events.

What is a uniform distribution?

A uniform distribution is a statistical distribution in which the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range is equally likely. This means that all values within the range have the same probability of occurring.

How is a uniform distribution different from a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a bell-shaped curve that represents a continuous probability distribution, while a uniform distribution is a flat line that represents a discrete probability distribution. Additionally, a normal distribution has a defined mean and standard deviation, while a uniform distribution has a constant probability for all values within a range.