What if we created plasma that ionizes at room temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a gaseous matter with low ionization energy that can be fully ionized at room temperature. The concern is whether harnessing the radiated energy from this plasma would violate the second law of thermodynamics. It is mentioned that ionizing air at room temperature is possible through dielectric barrier discharge, but the proposed matter would require no energy input and would rely on ambient temperature for ionization. The question remains about how thermal equilibrium would be achieved in this scenario and what would defend the second law of thermodynamics.
xastorm
I was wondering if we could create some gaseous matter whose ionization energy is very low, so it can be fully ionized under room temperature, thus converted in plasma.

I know that plasma loses energy quickly by radiation, if we could harness this radiated energy, won't this violate the second law of thermodynamics?

I then thought that the radiated energy may be re-absorbed by other non ionized atoms, but if the ionization energy was law enough, the number of ionized matter would be much more than non ionized, and so it can keep radiating at room temperature. I don't know how thermal equilibrium is achieved here.

Assuming the existence of such a kind of matter is far from true, but I want to know what exactly defends the second law in that case?

Science news on Phys.org
You can ionize air at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. Look up dielectric barrier discharge. It is a non-thermal plasma.

the case you are mentioning requires a high voltage input,

I'm talking about a different case, the ionization here takes place due to the thermal energy of atmospheric molecules, there is no energy input required but the ambient temperature.

1. What is plasma that ionizes at room temperature?

Plasma is a state of matter that consists of highly charged particles, such as ions and electrons. Typically, plasma is created at extremely high temperatures, but the concept of creating plasma that ionizes at room temperature involves using specific materials and conditions to achieve this state without the need for extreme heat.

2. How is plasma that ionizes at room temperature created?

Creating room temperature ionized plasma involves using certain gases or liquids, such as helium or water, and applying an electric field or using a laser to excite the particles and generate a plasma state. This process is still being researched and developed, but it has the potential to have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as energy production and medical treatments.

3. What are the potential benefits of creating plasma that ionizes at room temperature?

The main benefit of creating room temperature ionized plasma is that it eliminates the need for extreme temperatures, making it more accessible and cost-effective to produce. This could lead to advancements in areas such as energy generation, pollution control, and materials processing. It also has potential applications in biomedical and agricultural fields, such as sterilization and crop growth stimulation.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with creating plasma that ionizes at room temperature?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with creating room temperature ionized plasma. These may include electrical hazards, the release of toxic gases, and the potential for unintended reactions or side effects. Therefore, thorough research and safety precautions must be taken during the development and implementation of this technology.

5. How close are we to achieving room temperature ionized plasma?

The research and development of room temperature ionized plasma are still in its early stages, but significant progress has been made in recent years. Scientists are continuously exploring different methods and materials to create stable and controllable plasma at room temperature. While there is still much to learn and perfect, the potential benefits make this an area of active and exciting research.