Physics based piano sound synthesis

In summary, "Physics based piano sound synthesis" is a method of creating realistic piano sounds using mathematical models and principles of physics. It works by simulating the physical properties of a piano to produce a dynamic and authentic sound. The advantages of this technology include its ability to produce more realistic and expressive sounds, as well as its efficiency and cost-effectiveness. However, it also has limitations such as requiring a significant amount of computing power and expertise to achieve the desired sound. Physics based piano sound synthesis is commonly used in music production, recording, and virtual instrument plugins, and continues to be integrated into new and innovative applications in the music industry.
ataradov
I'm working on the mathematically modeled piano synthesizer. Right now I'm using modal based approach, where the sound is formed by a sum of exponentially decaying sinusoids (harmonics).

Right now I can calculate frequencies of sinusoids (taking inharmonicity into account, of course). For initial amplitude values I'm using data obtained from a real piano samples, since it is just easier right now. I don't care about phases just jet.

My main concern is decay rate. To simulate beating and two stage decay I use 2 or 3 exponents of about the same frequency (depending on the number of strings for a particular note).

For a case of 3 strings theory suggests that one of the exponents will decay faster and two will decay at about the same rate, but due to slight difference in frequencies they will produce beating.

This method is described in the literature, but no algorithm is given to obtain actual values.

At the moment I use simple formulas that I've created myself and they are not based on any physics at all, but produce decent sound after a lot of trial and error.

My question is: is there a method to calculate those decay rates based on a more physical approach?

Key moment - method should produce values for the decay rates before synthesis itself occurs, so methods based on building system with feedback that reproduce this behavior won't work for me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work on the piano synthesizer. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into creating a realistic sound using a modal approach.

To answer your question, there are indeed methods to calculate decay rates based on a more physical approach. One approach is to use the theory of coupled oscillators, which describes how multiple oscillating systems interact with each other.

In the case of the piano, the strings can be thought of as coupled oscillators, with each string having its own natural frequency and decay rate. When multiple strings are played together, their interactions can result in the beating and two-stage decay that you mentioned.

To calculate the decay rates in this approach, you would need to know the properties of the strings (such as their tension, mass, and length) and the coupling between them. This information can be obtained through experiments or from data provided by piano manufacturers.

Once you have this information, you can use mathematical equations and simulations to calculate the decay rates for each string and how they interact with each other. This approach is more physically accurate and can produce more realistic decay rates for your synthesizer.

I hope this information helps and I wish you success in your research. Keep up the good work!

1. What is "Physics based piano sound synthesis"?

"Physics based piano sound synthesis" is a method of creating realistic piano sounds using mathematical models and principles of physics. It aims to replicate the complex vibrations and resonances of a real piano, resulting in a more authentic and dynamic sound compared to traditional digital or sample-based piano sounds.

2. How does physics based piano sound synthesis work?

Physics based piano sound synthesis uses algorithms and mathematical models to simulate the physical properties of a piano, such as the string vibrations, hammer striking, and soundboard resonance. These models are then combined to create a realistic and dynamic piano sound.

3. What are the advantages of physics based piano sound synthesis?

One of the main advantages of physics based piano sound synthesis is its ability to produce more realistic and expressive piano sounds. It also allows for more control and customization of the sound, as the various physical parameters can be adjusted to create different tones and timbres. Additionally, it eliminates the need for large sample libraries, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

4. Are there any limitations to physics based piano sound synthesis?

While physics based piano sound synthesis can produce high-quality sounds, it is not without its limitations. It requires a significant amount of computing power and resources to simulate all the physical properties of a piano, which can be a challenge for some systems. It also relies on accurate modeling and parameter settings to achieve a realistic sound, which may require some expertise and fine-tuning.

5. How is physics based piano sound synthesis used in the music industry?

Physics based piano sound synthesis is commonly used in music production and recording, as well as in digital pianos and keyboards. It is also used in virtual instrument plugins for music software, allowing musicians and composers to use realistic piano sounds in their compositions. Additionally, this technology is constantly evolving and being integrated into new and innovative applications in the music industry.