Standard Gibbs of a reaction

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equilibrium constant for the reaction N2(g) + 3H2(g) <---> 2NH3(g) at 298K and 1 bar. There is confusion about how to write the equation and which expression for the equilibrium constant to use. It is mentioned that the correct expression for K depends on the stoichiometry and that the professor should specify which one is needed.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

For the reaction N2(g) + 3H2(g) <---> 2NH3(g)

I am supposed to determine the equilibrium constant at 298K and 1 bar. We have been given a table that states that

for NH3(g):
[itex]\Delta_{r}G^{\Theta}= -16.45 kJ/mol[/itex]

I know that
[itex]\Delta_{r}G^{\Theta}= \Sigma v G^{\Theta}_{product} - \Sigma v G^{\Theta}_{reactant}[/itex]

where v is the stoichiometric coefficient.

But what is confusing me is that you could also write the equation as

1/2 N2(g) + (3/2)(g) <----> NH3(g)

so in the first case, the answer would be

(2*-16.45 kJ/mol) - ((1*0)+(3*0)) = -32.90 kJ/mol

But in the second case, the answer would be

(-16.45 kJ/mol) - (1/2*0 + 3/2 *0) = -16.45 kJ/mol

Since both equations should be valid, what answer is correct? I don't understand which one I should choose because they both look like the should be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the two cases, the expression for the equilibrium constant will be different. In the first case K = [NH3]^2/[N2]

^3 whereas in the second case K = [NH3]/[N2]^(1/2)

^(3/2). This is why you always need to include a balanced reaction along with any equilibrium constant you provide.

Hey, I had the same concern. They are both right; it depends on the stoichiometry. The professor would have to specify which one he is looking for like he did last time.

Thanks guys! Did he specify last time? I must not have understood him. This was really confusing me, good to know that both are right! I feel better now. :)

The correct answer will depend on the convention being used for the standard Gibbs free energy of formation. In the first case, the equation is written using the convention where the standard Gibbs free energy of formation of elements in their standard state is taken to be zero. In this case, the answer of -32.90 kJ/mol is correct.

In the second case, the equation is written using the convention where the standard Gibbs free energy of formation of elements in their most stable form at the specified temperature and pressure is taken to be zero. In this case, the answer of -16.45 kJ/mol is correct.

Both conventions are commonly used and either answer is acceptable as long as the correct convention is specified. It is important to be consistent in using the same convention throughout your calculations.

1. What is the standard Gibbs free energy of a reaction?

The standard Gibbs free energy of a reaction is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the spontaneity and directionality of a chemical reaction under standard conditions. It is denoted as ∆G° and is calculated by taking into account the enthalpy (ΔH°) and entropy (ΔS°) of the reaction using the equation ∆G° = ∆H° - T∆S°, where T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How is the standard Gibbs free energy determined experimentally?

The standard Gibbs free energy is typically determined experimentally by measuring the equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction at different temperatures. The relationship between K and ∆G° is given by the equation ∆G° = -RTln(K), where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin. By plotting ln(K) against 1/T, the slope of the line can be used to calculate ∆H° and the y-intercept can be used to calculate ∆S°.

3. What does a positive value for the standard Gibbs free energy indicate?

A positive value for the standard Gibbs free energy (∆G° > 0) indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur spontaneously under standard conditions. This means that energy must be input into the system for the reaction to take place.

4. How does the standard Gibbs free energy relate to the equilibrium constant?

The standard Gibbs free energy (∆G°) and the equilibrium constant (K) are mathematically related through the equation ∆G° = -RTln(K). This equation shows that the magnitude of ∆G° is directly proportional to the equilibrium constant, meaning that as the value of K increases, the reaction becomes more spontaneous and ∆G° becomes more negative.

5. Can the standard Gibbs free energy predict the rate of a reaction?

No, the standard Gibbs free energy (∆G°) cannot predict the rate of a reaction. It only provides information about the spontaneity and directionality of the reaction. The rate of a reaction is determined by factors such as the activation energy, the concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. Therefore, a reaction with a more negative ∆G° may not necessarily occur faster than a reaction with a less negative ∆G°.