How Effective is 'The Art and Craft of Problem Solving' for IMO Preparation?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz is a widely used book in the Malaysian National Team for preparation in the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO). It has been recommended by the national team's main trainer for more than 10 years, and is written by a successful US IMO coach. It is a resourceful text for developing fundamental problem-solving skills, and other books by the Art of Problem Solving community and Titu Andreescu / Zuming Feng are also recommended for preparation in mathematical Olympiads.
Miike012
The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz

is anyone familiar with this book?

Physics news on Phys.org
"The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" is widely used here in the Malaysian National Team in preparation for the IMO.

I'm quite familiar with the book, though I haven't fully read and understood all of its contents to make any proper judgement on its utility. The national team's main trainer did recommend me this book, adding that he has been using it for more than 10 years now.

I believe that it all depends on your real objective: are you preparing for the IMO, or do you merely want to inculcate fundamental problem-solving capabilities for use in other areas? Although I won't say for certain that this is the best book available, do keep in mind that it's a resourceful text written by one of the most successful US IMO coaches (he trained the "dream team" in 1994; all 6 members of the US IMO team scored full 42 points).

If you are preparing for a mathematical Olympiad of any kind, I would also recommend books by the Art of Problem Solving community, and a couple by Titu Andreescu / Zuming Feng.

Hope this helps.

1. Is this book well-written?

The quality of writing can be subjective, but a good book typically has clear and concise language, a compelling plot or argument, and well-developed characters or ideas.

2. Does this book have good reviews?

Reading reviews can give you insight on others' opinions of the book, but remember that everyone's tastes are different. It's important to read a variety of reviews to get a well-rounded understanding.

3. Is this book engaging or interesting?

A good book should capture your attention and keep you interested throughout. Look for books with an intriguing premise, relatable characters, or thought-provoking ideas.

4. Is this book informative or educational?

Some books are meant to educate or teach, while others are simply for entertainment. Depending on your purpose for reading, look for books with well-researched information or engaging storytelling.

5. Are there any red flags or warnings about this book?

It's always a good idea to do a bit of research before reading a book, especially if you have any concerns or sensitivities. Look for trigger warnings or content warnings to make an informed decision about whether the book is right for you.