Find Max Gradient at P of z=2x^2+3y^2

In summary: P (2,1,11) in the direction making an angle a with the x-axis;From the equation for the derivative, we can find the gradient at P as: gradient(P,2,1,11)=8cos(a)+6sin(a)
savva

Homework Statement

For the surface z=2x^2+3y^2, find
(i) the gradient at the point P (2,1,11) in the direction making an angle a with the x-axis;
(ii) the maximum gradient at P and the value of a for which it occurs.

Homework Equations

ma=[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x(cos(a))+[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y(sin(a))

If dma/da = 0 and d^2ma/da^2<0 the ma, is a maximum for that value of a

The Attempt at a Solution

\partial

(i) Firstly I calculated:
[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x = 4x
[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y = 6y

Therefore applying equation: ma=[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x(cos(a))+[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y(sin(a)) at P(2,1,11)

We get:

ma=8cos(a)+6sin(a)
(I am quite sure this is correct, I don't have answers so if I am doing something wrong can someone please inform me.

(ii) This is where I am stuck, I can't quite get the correct working out, can anyone please help out, below is the calculations I attempted:

If dma/da = 0 and d^2ma/da^2<0 the ma, is a maximum for that value of a.

dma/da = -8sin(a)+6cos(a)

dma/da=0 Therefore: -8sin(a) + 6cos(a) = 0 Therefore: 8sin(a)=6cos(a)

This is what I was up to, got stuck here, not sure if what I done is correct, if it is, how do I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance
------------------------------------------------------

I have now calculated part (ii), I realized I have a problem in part (i), I need to find a to get the gradient ma, can anybody help me out with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

[itex]\int[/itex]

savva said:
Therefore applying equation: ma=[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x(cos(a))+[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y(sin(a)) at P(2,1,11)

We get:

ma=8cos(a)+6sin(a)
(I am quite sure this is correct, I don't have answers so if I am doing something wrong can someone please inform me.

It is correct for the derivative at the given point along the direction defined by the angle α.

savva said:
(ii) This is where I am stuck, I can't quite get the correct working out, can anyone please help out, below is the calculations I attempted:

If dma/da = 0 and d^2ma/da^2<0 the ma, is a maximum for that value of a.

dma/da = -8sin(a)+6cos(a)

dma/da=0 Therefore: -8sin(a) + 6cos(a) = 0 Therefore: 8sin(a)=6cos(a)

This is what I was up to, got stuck here, not sure if what I done is correct, if it is, how do I proceed from here?
Isolate α: sin(α)/cos(α)=6/8 =tan(α)=0.75 α=?
Getting α, substitute it back to mα.

ehild

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum gradient at a given point?

The formula for finding the maximum gradient at a given point is ∇f(x,y) = (fx, fy), where fx and fy are the partial derivatives of the function f(x,y) with respect to x and y, respectively.

2. How do you find the partial derivatives of a function?

To find the partial derivatives of a function, you can take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable in question while treating all other variables as constants.

3. Can you explain the concept of gradient in simpler terms?

The gradient of a function at a given point represents the direction and rate of change of the function at that point. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest ascent of the function.

4. How can you find the maximum gradient at a specific point on a graph?

To find the maximum gradient at a specific point on a graph, you can plug the coordinates of that point into the formula ∇f(x,y) = (fx, fy) and calculate the partial derivatives. Then, you can use these values to find the magnitude and direction of the gradient vector.

5. What does the maximum gradient at a point represent?

The maximum gradient at a point represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest change in the function at that point. It can be used to determine the direction in which the function is increasing the fastest.