Possible methods for measuring light absorption in optics experiment?

In summary, the group plans to use a solution of chlorophyll, carotene, and another substance to observe the spectrum on a screen by placing it between white light and a prism. They also want to take photos to show the colors reflected and their percentages, but their physics teacher believes this is not ambitious enough. The speaker suggests using a digital camera and comparing photos of the spectrum before and after the solution is added to determine the amount of light absorbed. They also mention using a program or manually determining the pixel values to compare the spectra. The speaker admits they are unsure if this will work, but it is an idea for improvement.
lucas1
So far my friends and I figured out that we will take a solution of chlorophyll, carotene and something else, then place it between white light and prism to see the spectrum on a screen. For a physical part of this experiment (there are also chemical and biological), we want to take photos of it, show which colors will be reflected and which the most. However my physics teacher said it can be accepted but it is not very ambitious. My idea is also to measure the percent absorption spectrum of particular substances, then draw a graph wavelength vs. percent absorption, but do You maybe know what device can be used to do it? Do You have any other ideas to make the experiment better?

Science news on Phys.org
Come on I need some advice TODAY.

You might try taking a digital camera and photographing the spectrum before and after you put the solution in front of it. You'd have to make sure the exposure time in both pictures is exactly the same with no flash. Then you could compare the photos and try to determine how much light has been absorbed. I don't know if any basic programs can determine the pixel value in each picture, but that would make it easier as you could directly compare the average value of a group of pixels in each part of the spectrum. If you don't have a program that can do that, you could try to determine it yourselves. I really don't know if this will work or not, but it's an idea.

1. What is the purpose of developing an optics experiment?

The purpose of developing an optics experiment is to study and understand the behavior of light in different situations and to test the principles of optics in a controlled environment. This can help in furthering our knowledge of light and its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine.

2. What are the basic components needed for an optics experiment?

The basic components needed for an optics experiment include a light source, lenses, mirrors, prisms, a screen or detector, and a platform to hold and adjust the components. Other materials such as filters, diffraction gratings, and polarizers may also be used depending on the specific experiment being conducted.

3. How do you set up an optics experiment?

To set up an optics experiment, the first step is to determine the objective of the experiment and select the appropriate components and materials. Then, assemble the components on the platform and adjust their positions to achieve the desired setup. Make sure the setup is stable and secure. Finally, turn on the light source and observe the results.

4. What are some safety precautions to consider when conducting an optics experiment?

Some safety precautions to consider when conducting an optics experiment include wearing protective eyewear, handling the light source carefully to avoid exposure to high-intensity light, and making sure all components are properly secured to prevent accidents. It is also important to follow proper handling and disposal procedures for chemicals and other hazardous materials that may be used in the experiment.

5. How can I analyze and interpret the results of an optics experiment?

To analyze and interpret the results of an optics experiment, it is important to record and analyze all relevant data, such as the measurements of the light intensity and its behavior after passing through different components. Comparing the results to the expected outcomes based on theoretical principles can help in understanding the underlying concepts and drawing conclusions from the experiment.