Don't delete the last post

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a suggestion to modify the policy for banning members and creating a thread to explain the reason for suspensions and bans. The suggestion is to modify, edit, and lock offending posts instead of deleting them, and to have a thread for management to post reasons for suspensions and bans of established members. However, the mentors mention that bans are not usually based on a single post and that privacy of the banned member is respected.
Andre
Every now and then it so happens that a long lasting member is banned for some reason. Obviously if one has seen somebody around for a long time and then the sudden surprise strike through his name, is not a good sight, especially if there is no reason to be found. As the offending thread has disappeared.

Therefore I have requested Greg via pm too make it a firm policy not to delete the last offending thread/post but modify, edit and lock as appropriate, so that members can find out themselfs what happened. That may make a lot of difference.

But I guess it's worth a feedback thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
Therefore I have requested Greg via pm too make it a firm policy not to delete the last offending thread/post but modify, edit and lock as appropriate, so that members can find out themselfs what happened. That may make a lot of difference.

Thank you for your suggestion. You can always contact a mentor and we can give you a very brief explanation.

It's not always the last post that caused the ban. It could be a cumulation of many posts. It's very rare that a longtime member is banned over a single post, and by the time we concur that a ban is in order, the member may have made dozens of more posts. Rest assured that a long time member that gets permanently banned will already know they are on the verge of a ban from their infraction history/discussions with mentors.

What about a locked thread where the management can post a reason for suspensions and bans (of established members)? Or maybe that's what Andre was suggesting?

Andre said:
But I guess it's worth a feedback thread.

TurtleMeister said:
What about a locked thread where the management can post a reason for suspensions and bans (of established members)? Or maybe that's what Andre was suggesting?
Out of respect to the banned member, we do not feel that it is appropriate to "air their dirty laundry". We respect the privacy of the member.

What does "Don't delete the last post" mean?

"Don't delete the last post" is a phrase commonly used on online forums or social media platforms. It refers to the practice of not deleting the most recent post in a conversation thread, as it can disrupt the flow of the conversation and make it difficult for others to follow.

Why is it important to not delete the last post?

Deleting the last post can cause confusion and disrupt the conversation thread, especially if others have already replied to it. It also goes against the etiquette of online forums and social media platforms, where posts are meant to remain as part of the conversation.

Can I delete my own post if it's the last one in the thread?

While it is generally recommended to not delete the last post, there may be certain circumstances where it is acceptable to do so. For example, if the post contains sensitive or personal information that you no longer wish to be publicly available. However, it is still good practice to inform others in the thread that you have deleted your post.

What should I do if I accidentally delete the last post?

If you accidentally delete the last post in a conversation thread, it is recommended to notify others in the thread and provide an explanation for the deletion. This can help prevent confusion and maintain the flow of the conversation.

Is it ever okay for someone else to delete the last post in a thread?

In general, it is not considered appropriate for someone else to delete the last post in a conversation thread, as it goes against the principle of respecting others' contributions to the conversation. However, there may be certain circumstances where it is necessary, such as if the post violates the forum's rules or contains inappropriate content.