How can I print all my threads on this forum?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary: Copying threads can be done by highlighting the text, copying and pasting into a text editor, or using a macro. Saving threads as PDFs can be done on Mac OS by choosing "Print" and then "Save as PDF."
Bipolarity
I've just looked over my post history and realized that many of my questions I have asked in the past are things I would like to keep archived for life in case I may have to ask them again. There is so much valuable information in the answers I receive on this forum, and if those threads die out it will be an unfortunately sight indeed.

So I was wondering, is there a way to print all the threads I have ever posted in? I've created at least 250 threads, so to do it manually would be very cumbersome indeed.

All feedback is appreciated.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
... if those threads die out it will be an unfortunately sight indeed.

My suggestion would be to help make sure that Physics Forums stays alive.

Physicsforums.com does not make a profit, nor does it intend to. The only sources of revenue are Google Ad click-throughs and individual contributors who voluntarily choose to provide financial support. The only uses of this revenue are the monthly fixed costs of server and bandwidth, and upgrades or repairs when necessary.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=131804

You could always help by Upgrading.

Just sayin'

Bipolarity said:
I've just looked over my post history and realized that many of my questions I have asked in the past are things I would like to keep archived for life in case I may have to ask them again. There is so much valuable information in the answers I receive on this forum, and if those threads die out it will be an unfortunately sight indeed.

So I was wondering, is there a way to print all the threads I have ever posted in? I've created at least 250 threads, so to do it manually would be very cumbersome indeed.

All feedback is appreciated.

BiP
You may be surprised to find that your posts have already been copied by a number of websites. Their only purpose is to copy other forum's posts. A large thread here had accidently gotten deleted and I found the entire thing on another website.

If you want to copy your posts, you can search on your posts and you will be given a list of your posts only, or you can search by threads you've posted in if you want to save the entire thread. Then you can start copying or printing them. I would suggest just copying the posts to a file first, then printing at your leisure.

I started making copies of all of my PM's years ago. I have copies saved of thousands of pm's both online, on my hard drive, on external hard drives and even have friends that have the files. I recently found that I have PM's going back to 2004 I had forgotten I had sent to a friend. Call me paranoid. :tongue2:

It will be time consuming at first, but once you get the old posts saved, adding to it weekly or monthly will be easy.

Are paper copies really better to store the info? They are susceptable to decay, force, fire.

I have my important files as easy searchable attachments to emails to myself or others in yahoo and gmail accounts. Assessable anywhere, but also on external hard drives and with relatives on another drive, like Evo, in case the house is burglared or lost in fire or something.

Also, in the past, I made hundreds of paper copies of scientific publications in addition to that, neatly stored in my billies only to find out that I really never used them. If I needed to review something, I would not even go to my library on the hard disk. I just googled. So the billies got another function and all paperwork is gone.

And also you could consider saving all the threads as .mht or .htm files. GB's are no longer expensive to store anymore.

Last edited:
I see, I will do it myself then but in the future, it would be nice if there a feature that allows one to setup a PDF of all the posts ready to be printed.

Evo, did you copy all the text manually or did you possibly use a macro of some sort?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Evo, did you copy all the text manually or did you possibly use a macro of some sort?

BiP
PM's are easy, you just select "download". But I've easily copied entire lengthy threads in seconds. Just highlight the text, copy and paste in word, notepad, what ever you want to save as.

Under Mac OS, I can save each page of a thread as a PDF file by choosing "Print" then "Save as PDF." Can't do a whole thread at once, unless there's a way to get PF to show you the entire thread as a single page.

1. How do I print all my threads from a forum?

To print all your threads from a forum, you can use the print function on your internet browser. Simply navigate to the forum page and click on the print option in the menu or use the shortcut command + P. This will bring up a print preview where you can select which pages or sections to print.

2. Can I print my threads in a specific order?

Yes, you can print your threads in a specific order by sorting them before printing. Most forums allow you to sort threads by date, popularity, or other factors. Once you have the threads in the desired order, you can proceed with printing as usual.

3. How can I print my threads without including comments?

If you only want to print the original post in a thread without any comments, you can use the print function on your browser and select the option to print only the selected frame. This will allow you to select the specific section of the thread you want to print without including any comments.

4. Is there a way to print my threads in a more compact format?

Some forums have a print-friendly version of their pages that will remove any unnecessary elements and provide a more compact format for printing. Alternatively, you can also adjust the print settings on your browser to print multiple pages on one sheet of paper or change the page orientation to landscape for a more condensed printout.

5. Can I print my threads in a different language?

Yes, you can print your threads in a different language by adjusting the language settings on your browser. This will change the language of the entire page, including the thread content, before you proceed with printing. You can also copy and paste the thread content into a word processing program and use a translation tool to convert it into a different language before printing.