Understanding PF's Copyright Rule

• Thread starter harrylin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of a copyright rule and the request for a link to a site explaining copyright restrictions. The example of Orwell's 1984 being copyrighted in some countries but not in others is mentioned, and two resources are suggested for more information on copyright laws in the United States and other countries. It is clarified that the rule applies to the laws of the USA, as the site is registered there, but it is also important to be aware of copyright laws in other countries. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of not posting copyrighted material in its entirety and instead providing a link to the source.
harrylin
Hi I noticed the added copyright rule. Could you add there a link to some site that explains copyright restrictions (e.g. how long is copyright protection etc)? Also, some material is copyrighted in some countries but not in others, and that may cause confusion and ambiguity about the application of the rule.

For example, I just found an official looking site with Orwell's 1984 which I thought was copy-righted, but from that site it seems that it isn't, at least not everywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:

Thanks! So, please add such a link to the rules with a clarification if that rule refers to the laws of the USA (since you chose that example) or those of all countries. I guess that the rule is related to (and I guess again!) this site being registered in the USA. :tongue2:

harrylin said:
I guess that the rule is related to (and I guess again!) this site being registered in the USA. :tongue2:

You are correct. We (or rather Greg, the owner) are subject to the laws of the USA.

This is what I use.

http://www.copyright.gov/records/

But remember, copyright laws in other countries can still be in effect even if they aren't listed under US copyright. So, to be safe, never post anything in it's entirety, post a blurb and then link to it.

1. What is the purpose of PF's copyright rule?

The purpose of PF's copyright rule is to protect the intellectual property of the creators of original content on the platform. This includes written articles, images, videos, and any other creative works.

2. How does PF's copyright rule affect me as a user?

As a user, PF's copyright rule affects you by prohibiting the use of copyrighted material without obtaining proper permission or giving credit to the original creator. This means that you must be mindful of the content you post and ensure that you are not infringing on any copyright laws.

3. What types of content are protected by PF's copyright rule?

PF's copyright rule protects all types of original content, including written articles, images, videos, and any other creative works. This also includes user-generated content, such as comments and forum posts.

4. Can I use copyrighted material on PF if I give credit to the original creator?

No, you must obtain proper permission from the original creator before using their copyrighted material on PF. Giving credit alone does not give you the right to use someone else's work without their permission.

5. What happens if I violate PF's copyright rule?

If you violate PF's copyright rule, your account may be suspended or terminated. Additionally, you may face legal action from the original creator of the copyrighted material. It is important to always follow PF's copyright rule to avoid any consequences.