Bibliography question for Greg at Al to discuss.

• Thread starter Studiot
  • Start date
Studiot
One thing I have noticed here.

There are regular request along the lines of

"Please recommend good books on electrical engineering/ mechanics / toffee making / bonsai...?"

How about a series of short(ish) bibliographies, with a list of important books and a short paragraph about each to help choice.

These could be placed in the learning materials section or anywhere easily identifiable.

Everyone could then point to them when such questions arise rather than continually reinventing the wheel.

I would be prepared to kick off by preparing one on stress analysis for consideration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like it. I am sure micromass would be able to contribute since he already has was you have suggested (for math texts) in his blog. I for one would love to see yours on stress. In particular, I came to PF tonight to see if there is any good info on an Elasticity text. PM me if you have any thoughts :smile:

I think that is a great idea. However, the mentors here are all volunteers, so if you expect the mentors to do this you may have to wait a bit, as it does require time and effort. Perhaps if a member where to start a thread in Academic Guidance and begin the list, everyone with knowledge and interest could contribute. Then it could be edited into the final list with less effort then starting from scratch.

Note that this just a thought, with no discussion with the other mentors. Some of them may have other ideas. So wait for more input before putting do much effort into it.

Probably the best place would be a sticky in the Math & Science Learning Materials.

Borek said:
Probably the best place would be a sticky in the Math & Science Learning Materials.

Yeah, that makes good sense.

I would imagine that a measure of management would be necessary.

Possibly a general or header screed to act as guide and discalaimer

"We have used our best endeavours etc but no claim is made that any list is comprehensive or complete. This is not to say that any book not listed is inferior...etc"

There needs to be some way to allow worthwhile additions without allowing the list to become unwieldy. I would be the first to want to learn of any worthwhile book I didn't know about.
Resources threads often fall over because they contain far too many entries.

Nice to see a great idea coming together so quickly. Thanks to Studiot and the Mentors for getting this rolling. :smile:

What is a bibliography and why is it important?

A bibliography is a list of sources used in a research paper or project. It is important because it gives credit to the original authors, allows readers to find and verify the sources, and helps to avoid plagiarism.

What information should be included in a bibliography?

A bibliography should include the author's name, title of the source, publication date, publisher, and page numbers. For online sources, a URL or DOI should also be included.

How do you format a bibliography?

The format of a bibliography can vary depending on the citation style used (e.g. APA, MLA, Chicago). Generally, sources are listed alphabetically by the author's last name or by the title if there is no author. Each source should also be formatted with hanging indents.

What is the difference between a bibliography and a works cited/reference page?

A bibliography includes all sources used in a research project, while a works cited or reference page only includes sources directly cited in the paper. A bibliography may also include sources that were consulted but not directly referenced.

How can you ensure the accuracy of a bibliography?

To ensure the accuracy of a bibliography, it is important to carefully record all necessary information from each source and to double-check for any errors. It can also be helpful to use a citation management tool, such as Zotero or EndNote, to keep track of sources and generate citations in the correct format.