General term of the sequence, if it exists

In summary, a general term of a sequence refers to the formula or rule that can be used to generate any term in the sequence. This term may exist for certain types of sequences, such as arithmetic or geometric sequences, and can be found by identifying the pattern or relationship between consecutive terms. Having a general term allows for easier calculation and prediction of future terms in the sequence. However, not all sequences have a general term, and some may require more complex formulas or methods to determine the next term.
relinquished™
Hello. I've been having such a hard time thinking of the general term of this "Sequence". Actually, I'm not even sure if this is a sequence at all, but it looks like it can be simplified into one summation symbol.
[tex]
\frac{-2}{6}, \frac{-20}{120}, \frac{-1080}{5040}, \frac{-140400}{362880}, ...
[/tex]

The denominators of every term are actually the factorials of the odd numbers starting from 3, what i can't find is the "pattern" for the numerator.

Thanks for any help :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's a nice data base of integer sequences at :

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/

that you can search.

I played around with the sequence you have given, but couldn't figure anything much out. Do you know anymore of the terms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, with a little tinkering I did manage to find the pattern :) I just have one question... It is related to the sequence but its not actually the sequence

is this statement true?

[tex]\prod_{n=0} (2n+1) = (1)(3)(5)(7)(9)... [/tex]

Note: The n in the "Prod" symbol tends to infinity. I don't know how to place an upper limit in the symbol XD

I'm not so familiar with the symbol, i just saw it in the HowToLaTeX FAQ and wondered if it's like the summation symbol (only it means product) :)

Thanks again for that site. It did help me in a way :)

I guess the statement is true, but it doesn't appear to be well-defined...

If you want to know how to place an upper limit:

[tex]\prod_{n=0}^{\infty} (2n+1)[/tex]

so it should be

[tex]\prod_{n=0}}^{\infty} (2n+1) = (1)(3)(5)(7)(9)(11)(13)... [/tex]

Is it "more" well defined now?

Thanks again

No, it just seems like it's "meaningless" to talk about the product of all odd natural numbers ;)

Last edited:
well, yeah, it is meaningless. But when it becomes a part of a general term of a series that is a solution to a differential equation it is kinda important :)

which leads me to my last question, (which I know should be part of Differential Equations but my main focus was simplifying the general term of a series) in most differential equations books when I read their solutions they write their general term as (1)(3)(5)(7)...(2n+1) (If the need or occasion arose). My question is if it's more appropriate to write it as

[tex] \prod_{n=0}^{\infty} (2n+1) [/tex]

instead...

Thanks a bunch :)

If your general term is (1)(3)(5)...(2n+1) then you could write it as

[tex]\prod_{i=0}^{n}(2i+1)[/tex]

Note the endpoints carefully. Either one is fine as long as there's no ambiguity for what the ... represent. My preference is towards the [itex]\prod[/itex] notation as long as there are no typsetting issues.

Thanks for everything :)

An alternative notation, that is sometimes prettier, and that doesn't involve product notation:

[tex] \prod_{i=0}^n (2i+1) = \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}[/tex]

Edit: Actually, looking at your situation, this notation might lead to some simplifications too!

Last edited:

1. What is a general term of a sequence?

A general term of a sequence is a function that generates each term in the sequence based on its position in the sequence. It is a formula or pattern that can be used to find any term in the sequence.

2. How do you determine if a sequence has a general term?

In order for a sequence to have a general term, it must follow a specific pattern or rule. This can be determined by examining the sequence and looking for a consistent pattern or by using mathematical techniques such as finding differences or ratios between terms.

3. Can a sequence have more than one general term?

Yes, a sequence can have multiple general terms if there are multiple patterns or rules that can be used to generate the sequence. However, it is more common for a sequence to have only one general term.

4. How can a general term be used to find specific terms in a sequence?

A general term can be used to find specific terms in a sequence by plugging in the position of the term into the function. This will generate the value of the term based on the pattern or rule of the sequence.

5. What is the difference between a general term and a recursive formula?

A general term is a function that generates each term in a sequence based on its position, while a recursive formula is a function that uses previous terms in the sequence to generate the next term. In other words, a general term is a direct formula, while a recursive formula is an indirect formula.