'From Lucy to Language' (1996)

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the book "Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind" by Donald Johanson and Blake Edgar provides a comprehensive overview of the evidence and methods used in paleoanthropology, as well as a tour of the most significant fossil specimens for each hominid species. The writing style is clear and accessible, with stunning photographs of fossils and tools. It is a valuable resource for understanding human evolution and is highly recommended for both scientists and non-scientists alike.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...by Donald Johanson & Blake Edgar

In 1974, Donald Johanson helped to discover the famous fossil specimen of Australopithecus afarensis nicknamed “Lucy”. This book is simply an invaluable source of information about hominid evolution.

Part 1 of the book walks you through the modern theory of human evolution, carefully presenting the lines of evidence. The descriptions of the numbers and types of specimens available for each hominid species, the methodology of paleoanthropology, the technical methods of radiodating, etc. is unlike that found in any other popular science writings on human evolution that I have seen. I found myself taking several pages of notes from this book

Part 2 of the book is a tour of the most significant fossil specimens for each of the known hominid species with a full page description of the history, anatomy, and significance of each specimen and a full page photo of the fossil.

The writing style is clear and accessible and yet it does not shy away from scientific descriptions of fossil specimens.

The hardcover book comes in a large size (10” x 12”) thereby often allowing for full-size photos of fossil skulls and ancient hominid tools. The photographs are simply stunning, although it can occasionally be a bit creepy pouring over pages and pages of full-size skulls. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book by Donald Johanson and Blake Edgar. As a scientist who has also studied human evolution, I can attest to the importance of this book in understanding our species' past.

The first part of the book, as you mentioned, provides a comprehensive overview of the evidence and methods used in paleoanthropology. This is crucial in understanding the scientific process and the strength of the evidence supporting human evolution.

I also appreciate how the second part of the book showcases the most significant fossil specimens for each hominid species. These fossils provide invaluable insights into our ancestors' anatomy and behavior, and their significance cannot be overstated.

I agree that the writing style is clear and accessible, making it a great resource for both scientists and non-scientists. And the inclusion of full-size photos of fossils and tools is definitely a plus, even if it can be a bit unsettling at times.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in human evolution and the science behind it. Thank you for bringing attention to such an important and informative resource.

Overall, “From Lucy to Language” is an excellent resource for anyone interested in human evolution. It provides a comprehensive and well-organized overview of the topic, with detailed information and stunning visuals. Johanson and Edgar have created a valuable addition to the field of paleoanthropology and have made the complex subject matter accessible to a wider audience. This book is a must-read for anyone interested in the story of human evolution and the incredible journey that has led to the development of language and other unique human characteristics.

1. What is the main topic of the book "From Lucy to Language" (1996)?

The main topic of the book is the evolution of human language and how it developed from our earliest ancestors, represented by the fossilized remains of "Lucy" (Australopithecus afarensis).

2. Who is the author of "From Lucy to Language" (1996)?

The author of the book is Donald Johanson, a paleoanthropologist who discovered the fossilized remains of Lucy in Ethiopia in 1974.

3. What evidence does the book present to support the evolution of human language?

The book presents a variety of evidence, including fossil evidence of hominid brain development, studies of language acquisition in young children, and comparisons of human and primate vocalizations.

4. Is "From Lucy to Language" (1996) a popular or scholarly book?

The book can be considered both popular and scholarly, as it is written in an accessible style and aimed at a general audience, but also includes scientific research and references to support its claims.

5. What are some of the criticisms of "From Lucy to Language" (1996)?

Some criticisms of the book include its focus on the "Out of Africa" theory of human evolution, as well as its lack of consideration for cultural and social factors in the development of human language.