Storing Thoughts & Ideas: A Writer's Challenge

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary: I like Freemind because it's open source and it works on both Windows and Mac. Freemind is a mind mapping software that is very customizable and has a lot of features. You can also use it for collaborative work. It's free to download and use, but you have to pay for some additional features.
Avichal
I have many ideas and thoughts that I want to store. Many are insights about some particular topic.
Ideally I would want to write a book but that's too far-fetched (is this how writers get motivated to write books?)

I don't want to write in a notebook or something. I think it's temporary and I'll lose it.
Any ideas? Never thought I would face such a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
I have many ideas and thoughts that I want to store. Many are insights about some particular topic.
Ideally I would want to write a book but that's too far-fetched (is this how writers get motivated to write books?)

I don't want to write in a notebook or something. I think it's temporary and I'll lose it.
Other than paper, one must rely on electronic media with redundant backup. Create electronic files on the computer, then periodically copy to one or more external hard-drives or optical media. Then store the HD/optical media in a safe place.

Avichal said:

Have you never heard of Google Documents?

Zz.

Of course I am looking for some software. Google Docs or something similar is okay but I want something different.
Is there anything that helps me store data in a tree-like structure?

P.S. :- Please move this thread to computer sub-forum as it probably belongs there.

Take a creative writing course in the evening. See how others do it.

Astronuc said:
Other than paper, one must rely on electronic media with redundant backup. Create electronic files on the computer, then periodically copy to one or more external hard-drives or optical media. Then store the HD/optical media in a safe place.

That would be my advice too. For this I use USBs, rewritable DVDs and multisession DVDs.

Avichal said:
I'm pretty sure there is some dedicated software (but I don't recall any at the moment). Nevertheless, I personally think tree-like structures can be over the top (but it's just my opinion). For organized data, I make documents with table of contents and/or index - it's a kind of tree-structure. You can also go "weblike" and use a html-editor like e.g. Adobe GoLive, and create a treestructure with links and htmlpages (but it takes some time to learn, of course). Another, more "raw", solution is to create a treestructure with folders and files directly in the operating system. I sometimes do this (for e.g. organizing weblinks).

Last edited:
Avichal said:
Of course I am looking for some software. Google Docs or something similar is okay but I want something different.

Google: mind map software

russ_watters said:
Google: mind map software

Mindmeister.com is pretty much what I wanted. It's not free though. Anyways, thanks for the 'mind map' keyword.

Avichal said:
Mindmeister.com is pretty much what I wanted. It's not free though. Anyways, thanks for the 'mind map' keyword.

I googled "free mind map software" and found this: Freemind. There might be more software, I didn't check all the search results.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you store your thoughts and ideas as a writer?

As a writer, I use a combination of methods to store my thoughts and ideas. Some of these methods include keeping a physical journal, using digital note-taking apps, and creating a vision board. I find that having different methods allows me to capture my thoughts and ideas in different ways, depending on the situation.

2. What is the best way to organize and categorize thoughts and ideas?

The best way to organize and categorize thoughts and ideas is by using a system that works for you. Some writers prefer to use a traditional outline structure, while others may prefer to use mind maps or color-coded systems. It's important to experiment and find a method that helps you easily access and build upon your thoughts and ideas.

3. How do you prevent losing your thoughts and ideas?

One of the best ways to prevent losing your thoughts and ideas is by capturing them as soon as they come to you. This could mean carrying a small notebook or using a note-taking app on your phone. It's also important to regularly review and update your storage system, so that you don't forget about any important ideas.

4. Can storing thoughts and ideas help with writer's block?

Yes, storing thoughts and ideas can be a helpful tool for overcoming writer's block. When you have a bank of ideas to draw from, it can be easier to get started on a writing project. Additionally, revisiting old thoughts and ideas can spark new inspiration and help you get out of a creative rut.

5. What is the benefit of storing thoughts and ideas instead of just writing them down?

Storing thoughts and ideas allows for easier access and organization. Instead of sifting through pages of written notes, you can quickly search and find specific ideas. It also allows for the ability to easily add to and build upon existing ideas, making the writing process more efficient and effective.