Bring 12V DC Home: An Idea to Reduce Transformer Clutter

• Thread starter WarrickF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of implementing a series of 12V DC plugs in modern homes in order to eliminate the need for individual transformers for each electronic device. While this idea may have some advantages, it would also come with challenges such as cost, consistency of voltage, and the need for regulators for each device. The conversation also touches on the safety concerns of using DC versus AC in homes, with some arguing that AC is safer due to its ability to "let go" and others arguing that DC can also be dangerous. Overall, the conversation concludes that it may be simpler to stick with the current AC system rather than making the switch to DC.
I remember when I wired my house for ethernet, a friend of mine dared me to lick my fingers and touch the bare phone wires. I was terrified of the 46V, but when I finally did it it was merely a tickle.

Physics news on Phys.org
GENIERE said:
Must have been older type cars that had metal bumpers.
Yeah. I'm dating myself here. This was 26 years ago, when practically all cars had these heavy chrome-plated steel bumpers.

govinda said:
also i didnt quite understand what u meant by muscles alternatively flexing and distending?
If there were any truth to this it would only result in vibration of the muscles at 60hz with very low amplitude.

zooby ,
im sorry still don't understand what's going on with the muscle care 2 elucidate?

govinda said:
zooby ,
im sorry still don't understand what's going on with the muscle care 2 elucidate?
I think what Integral is saying is that once you become part of a direct current circuit, at sufficient voltage, it is the current itself that won't let you go.

From that, he argues that AC is safer because it changes direction 120 times a second and there is a point 120 times a second when the current going through you is 0 amps at 0 volts, which, he contends, gives you the chance to pull yourself out of the circuit.

My contention is that the current causes a person to clench their muscles, and it is this clenching that prevents people from getting themselves out of electric circuits, rather than being held prisoner by the current.

Dave is the one who brought up the part about flexing and extending. I think it was just speculation on his part. It takes a small amount of time for a muscle to relax once it has been clenched, and I know a human muscle can't fully relax from being clenched in 1/120th of a second. The most you might get is a vibration.